2 Days in Oslo + Norwegian Woods

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spending two dys in Oslo with my 20 year old son and going to the Festival. What are the "Must see's" or do's and most interesting places to eat?
Thanks,
Kim
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 07:48 AM

I live in Oslo. One of the must-sees is Vigelandpark, which is right next to Frogner Stadion/Frognerbadet where they have Norwegian Wood. (By the way, if you have a ticket for the concert, you can use the pool.)

What kind of food do you guys like and how much do you want to spend? Then I can tell you where to eat and how to get there.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 11:15 AM

Lillehavfrue: when you respond to kimberlyd, we hope to benefit by your advice, too.
My husband and I will be in Oslo early July. We would like to know about places to eat light fare (sandwiches, soup, salad, etc), not big fancy expensive restaurants or what we call "tourist traps". I am sure there are delightful places known to local residents.How do you say "thanks" in Norwegian ???!
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 02:59 PM

Thanks is "Takk" or "Tusen Takk" (which would translate to a thousand thanks). As for light fare it depends on where you are in Oslo. Quite close to Vigelandsparken is "Curry and Ketchup" (in "Kirkeveien&quot an indian restaurants where the main courses goes from 60-90NOK, though due to low prices and good location it is often full. Depending on your hotel you might also do what many Norwegians do...brown bag it as the classical Norwegian breakfast is large and with plenty of room to make a lunchsandwich or two...

The problem with buying a lucnh like that is that not too many Norwegians goes out and buys lunch and thus it is not that many places where you can get decently priced lunches. Though many cafes have decent lunch/dinner menues at decent prices...
If you want to keep it cheap stay away from all the places close to tourist locations and Aker Brygge.
As for good food... I like the food they have at "Bit" (which translates to a piece or a bite of something) which you can find at Universitetsgaten (crossing Karl Johan) as well as in the Byporten Mall.

If you want more tips just ask, but I need to know where you want to eat/ are staying and what kind of price you are looking at to give any more accurate tips...

Cobos (another Oslo citizen)
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 06:40 PM

Hi Cobos, I'm so glad to get some suggestions. We will be at Clarion Hotel Royal Christiania . I've heard so much about how expensive it is in Scandinavia ! We are just looking for places to get a nice meal with tasty food but not the top-notch prices. We like good food and will go to some restaurants what we call here "fine dining', but obviously cannot afford all the time. It's our first trip to Norway. Also will spend some time in Bergen at First Hotel Marin.
I feel awkward about intruding on someone else's thread. My appologies.I should start a new one ! Please look for it soon.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 02:48 PM

Since you are staying at the end of Karl Johan I would exit the main doors of your hotel and enter the subway station (that would be "Jernbanetorget/Oslo S&quot. Then take it one stop to "Grønland" station and exit that station at one of the exits... that area of town (it's actually only about 500m from the hotel but using sybway is easier than giving directions is a good place to pick up a cheap meal. This area has a large population of various ethnic minorities (mainly asian and middle eastern), so is not the best place to get a "typical" Norwegian meal (though I can't find a "typical" Norwegian eatery in Oslo either .

Cobos
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 11:11 PM

In the building of the former rail station between the City Hall and Aker Brygge there is a restaurant named Maud, serving traditional Norweigian dishes, like rommegrot, lefse, kjottkaker etc. I guess June is not the right season for lutefisk, though.
Bjorn, Oslo
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 11:20 PM

Maud is expensive. If you want traditional Norwegian food that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, go to either Norrøna, which is near the Oslo Courthouse, or Kaffistova, by the Oslo New Theatre.

Old Jun 5th, 2003, 11:37 PM

As far as light fare goes, it's generally hard to get a good salad in Oslo without paying a lot for it. However, BillaBong (formerly called Storm if you have to ask for directions) located at Majorstua on the Colosseum side of the T-Bane station has good salads for around 70 NOK. They also have good pasta, etc.

Curry and Ketchup is a good place, but it's always crowded. Get there early!

Bit is a good place for custom-made sandwiches and ready-made calzones. Prices aren't too bad either. (A lot of students go to the one on Universitetsgt.) There's also a great sandwich place that has *huge* sandwiches and sells everything for 38 kr that a lot of my colleagues go to, I'll try to get the address by the end of next week. It's somewhere between Oslo S and Akerhus Festning.

Try to buy your drinks in a grocery store (if you're planning on buying a sandwich and eating it in the park or something). Rimi, Rema 1000, Kiwi, Bunnpris, Coop, Meny, ICA, Centra. Don't waste money on bottled water here (unless you need to get a bottle to put the tap water in); the water quality is as good or sometimes better than what you get in the bottles.

Grønland is a great place to get a good meal. If you get off the T-Bane, go towards "Grønlands Torg." Cross the big main road (you'll see a Kiwi and some fast food places, one of which is an Indian joint that has good cheap food). Walk up Motzfeltsgate and you'll find Indian (Little India), Lebanese (Oliven), or Somalian (Hillaac). Or walk towards the police station and you'll run into a great Thai place (a little bit expensive though).

More towards the center of town - at Torggata Bad there is a Vietnamese restaurant called Tay Do that has great food for "cheap." If you walk further down Torggata, on the corner of Torggata and Osterhausgate there's a great little café for noodle soup.

Grünerløkka is also a great place to get a meal. I don't remember which "trikk" (tram) goes there because they just changed the routes; find the one that goes to "Olav Ryes Plass" and you'll have plenty of choices.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 04:00 PM

Wow ! I'm delighted with your advice ! Thanks to Cobos, Bjorn and Lillehavfrue we are well prepared. I was going to post a separate message, but this has given us great response.
My husband and I will be there with a tour, but after the 'usual' city tour we are left with lots of free time to explore and eat on our own. We liked that idea.It was just to find where and what ! I'll be looking on this thread for further help. Meanwhile thanks a bunch! Tusen Takk !
Now we need help with Bergen ! I'll post another thread on that.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 11:55 PM

My 16-year-old son and I are staying at Anker Hostel - Storgata 55 - July 9-12. We're budget-oriented, so I'm glad to read the responses I've seen so far.

Is buying the Oslo Pass a good idea?
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 12:53 AM

WillTravel:
Yes, the Oslo Pass might be a good idea, depending on your needs (duration, type of sightseeing, -transport, no of people etc)
The Pass comes in a variety of options, and I suggest that you decide on it when arriving. The hotel certainly will help you.
If local transport is your only need, I'd go for a socalled day-card, NOK 50,- per adult. Entitles you to all trams buses subways and ferries within 24 hours. 3 or 4 children can be brought for free during weekends.
Many of the museums in Oslo are free. Vigeland Park and the National Gallery, by example. Hence no need to purchase the Oslo Card for these reasons. In other entrances th card may give heavy discounts though
Forgive me all typos and bad written English.
Welcome to Oslo
Bjorn
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 12:50 PM

Jenny: Now I'm certain you have been on Grand Circle's Scandinavian Odyssey as I read which hotels, etc. For the rest on Fodors GC has tours for seniors at a less frantic pace with included tours, special meals, and free time.

We depart July 29 on our 3rd with GC.
Thanks for all the advice already posted! Hope to hear back from Jenny and others about impressions, problems, etc. Yes, it is likely to be cooler than here. Before our Ireland Elderhostel we got lots of tips on Fodors.

Bill Longman [email protected]
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 06:49 AM

Ozarksbill , I posted a report on "Scandinavia, what not to miss" on July 17. We had a great time. I'd like to read your comments later ! Be sure and post them.
Have a great trip !
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 11:45 AM

We really liked a Bengali cafe located on Storgata at Hausman's Gate.