Inexpensive Food in Oslo and Bergen

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any suggestions for favorite, inexpensive restaurants? (About 100 - 150 kroners?) Everything I've seen described seems quite expensive to my American wallet.
Old May 14th, 2005, 10:18 AM

I would also like to have this information.
Old May 14th, 2005, 11:34 AM

So would I.

Larry J
Old May 14th, 2005, 04:59 PM

Could it be that there is NO inexpensive food in Oslo or Bergen? No helpful answers?
Old May 14th, 2005, 05:06 PM

In Bergen, begin at the main pier where they sell fish all day long. Some very reasonable dishes served there.

Near the Opera House, try the Opera Cafe. Young crowd, good food, go upstairs away from the noisy bar.

Oslo has several reasonable cafes and cafeterias. Just off the main street that leads to the railway station. We found places along the main pier were expensive (high rents?), so it's best to avoid that area. Norway, of course, has an extremely strong currency vs. the U. S. dollar, and so it becomes a real challenge finding common items at what we consider to be reasonable prices.
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:10 AM

A couple of weeks ago I posted the same question and got only the response of "go to the harbor and eat fish". So I went a 2004 copy of Fodor's and found the suggestions below:

Bergen--Not many inexpensive restaurants were listed--I think one was a pasta place, but the one that Fodor's recommended was To Kokker, a seafood place, but at a reasonable price.

Oslo--Two places listed near the harbor downtown, both Norwegian food:
Brasserie 45, on Karl Johns Gate 45
and
Kaffistova, on Rosenkrantz Gate 8.

I intend to try all these places when I am in Norway in the next two weeks.

If anyone has other suggestions or has eaten at any of these restaurants, please reply.

Thanks, Margo
Old May 15th, 2005, 12:20 PM

Food is reel expensive in the Norwegio. We spent about $150 for me and my hobby last time in 2003 for one dinner at a pretty niece place. The best is oriental restrants which have lunch specials for about 60 kroniker (about $10(, and those can go to 4 or 5 pm. Look for "dagens" specails on signs out front of cafees. Its good idea to get fish speshitalys at the fishy peirs because its very fresk and world known. Bakeris (brazeriees) are good for samwiches at lunch too.

If I reamember, its hard to find much for 100 to 150 kronikers at a sit-down, tableclothe, restarant. A bottle of the vino is 300 kronerikers. You might get pasta for 130. Beers will be 40 or 50 kronikeros EACH!
Old May 15th, 2005, 03:34 PM
P_M

When I was in Oslo I was blown away by the high prices of restaurants. I walked endlessly and finally found a little food court in the basement of a small department store. I had Chinese food which cost around $15 US. It was nothing special, just glorified fast food, but it didn't break the bank. The next day I went back to that same food court and had Italian food. Cost was about the same.

In Bergen I went to the fish market one day and bought stuff there. The next night I wasn't very hungry so I bought a hot dog and ice cream and ate by the waterfront. I know that's not everyone's first choice for dinner, but you couldn't beat the view.
Old May 16th, 2005, 02:17 AM

As an Oslo-citizen, I have a few ideas. You can try to take the t-bane (the Metro or Tube) to Majorstuen and visit Cafe M, or Gamle Major, where they have great meals for 100-150 kroner.

The Brasseri 45 also have really good food at a reasonable price. Also go to the harbor, Aker Brygge, and try the burgers in town at Beach Club.
They have norwegian food at Kafistova, if you are interested in that.