Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Santorini: Stay in Oia, Firostefani or Prophetes Elia Hill?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2018, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hubby and I will be going in mid July and are looking at staying at:
Alpai Dome in Oia
Pantheos villas in Pophetes Elias Hill
Or
Galini Hotel in Firostefani

They all look wonderful but wondering which area would be best to stay?
I know we want to see sunsets in Oia and will want to probably visit both Oia & Faros for exploring, restaurants etc.
Will Oia be too far on one side or will it be the perfect zen to stay in and explore from (and maybe we won't want to leave)
Alternatively will the other 2 locations be too far from amazing Oia or just right bc they're close to both?
Has anyone stayed at any of the above actual hotels to give their insight? Or know the areas and can input??

We're in our late 40's and like a good energy but not too crazy crowded..

Many thanks!
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 08:54 PM

The best overall sunset and caldera views will be seen from 1. Pantheon Villas in Imerovigli, and 2. Hotel Galini. Aplai Dome has a sea view but it's not into the caldera. It will probably be a decent location for sunset watching in July as long as you're on the top floor. If you're on the ground floor the sunset might not be in your line of sight.

The advantage to staying in Firostefani is that you will have easy access to all that Fira has to offer in just a short 15-minute stroll from your hotel along the cliff path. Imerovigli is about a mile uphill from Fira, and in July that will be a strenuous walk in the sweltering heat. Oia is the most beautiful and romantic village but in July it will be extremely crowded there from about 10am until after sunset. Aplai isn't actually in the village but partway down a side road about 1/4 mile from the bus square in Oia.
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much brotherll, really appreciate your insight. I was thinking we will probably plan to go into Oia for the sunsets...I haven't been there in 25 years but back then I went to a rooftop for wine and music for the sunset - as opposed to our room. It was a long time ago and it was in the shoulder season (I think May) so definitely less crowded than in July. But that being said (not planning to watch from our hotel), would that change your recommendation on where to stay?
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 07:52 AM

First of all, be prepared for a shock. The island is nothing like what you remember from 25 years ago. It's all grown up now with lots more of everything. There's even a McD's in Fira! So many people go to Oia for the sunset now that it's elbow-to-elbow at the end of the village. Avoid at all costs!

Imerovigli will be the quietest and least-developed of your proposed locations. I suggest you stay there.
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Ugh, McD! What a bummer!!! Thank you so much for the reco!!
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Brotherleelove, we just got back and want to let you know we really appreciated your advice. Wow has Santorini changed since the last time I was there! It's a tourist Mecca, at least in July. And after a lunch the first day in Fira, we stayed away from the craziness there. We loved Imerovigli, which was like the old Oia I remembered. Such a beautiful island - the vistas are unreal, but we were bummed by all of the buses and crowds. However, we were able to find our zen in some beautiful spots away from everyone
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 06:50 AM

I'm gratified to know you were able to still see the beauty through all the chaos.
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 07:44 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
This makes me so happy we visited Santorini in September, not in high season. It was relatively quiet and gorgeous. Fira was way too touristy for us. We were really happy we stayed at the Gold Suites in Imerovigli. We had full-on caldera sunsets from our private patio, above the clouds. It was perfect.
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 07:51 AM

Are you familiar with the Santorini Princess, in Imerovigli? I am looking at it for Sept, 2019.
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 08:26 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't recall that exact hotel, but its website looks spectacular. That caldera view is so amazing, it is definitely the location I'd choose. There's a walkway along the caldera, which takes you by all these gorgeous lodgings, spilling down the hill. Picture perfect! And lovely little wine bars and restaurants along that walkway.

You cannot beat this breakfast view, above the clouds. Heavenly!
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 04:41 PM

Thanks, sound like a perfect location!