Santorini/Mykonos

Old Oct 14th, 2000, 06:20 PM
Jeanne

Santorini/Mykonos

Hello- my fiance' and I are planning a vacation to Santorini and Mykonos. I was wondering if anyone had stayed at Sun Rock Villas (Firostefani), Astra Apartments (Imerovigli) or Katikies (Ia). I am tossed between these 3 places and cannot make a decision. Every description gives great sunsets but I'm not to sure about this because I heard Ia is the best place. Whatever info you can give me to narrow my decision would be much appreciated. My friend told me to take the tour to Akrotrini if you have done this tour on your own, let me know what you thought and if it's worth 6 hours. Also, if anyone has stayed in Mykonos I am also tossed between Cavoo Tagoo, Santa Marina, Hotel Irida, or Petasos Bay. Any help on these places and what you think is the best place would be very much appreciated. Thank you!!!!

Old Oct 14th, 2000, 06:56 PM
Martha

Jeanne -

The sunsets are incredible at any hotel in Fira on the Caldera edge. I stayed at the Loucas Hotel in June and loved spending every evening on my balcony enjoying the sunset - then going to dinner. Most hotels on the caldera edge in firostefani should have good sunset views as well. Oia has a different orientation, so I'm not sure what the views would be. I went to Akrotiri on my own and enjoyed it - although I can see how a guided tour might be more educational. It's a great island wherever you stay. Have fun.
Martha

Old Oct 15th, 2000, 06:44 AM
Jeanne

Thanks Martha for your reply. I'm leaning towards the Astra Apartments in Firostefani and it was interesting to read that you stayed in that town and saw beautiful sunsets. I will take your advice in doing a tour to Akrotrini instead of doing it on my own. I'm starting to read horror stories about Olympic Airlines. Which airline did you fly? Did you rent a car in Santorini or use their bus service? Thanks again.

Old Oct 15th, 2000, 01:14 PM
Martha

Jeanne -

I stayed in Fira at the Loucas Hotel. I didn't have a problem with noise in Fira - but I was on the lowest level at the Loucas Hotel, so it was very quiet and isolated. I used the local bus system to get around the island, and taxis from the airport - so I didn't feel the need to rent a car. I flew on Olympic Airlines from JFK and had pleasant flights. The new airbus had individual monitors in every seatback, so you could pick from a number of movies to watch during the flight. The food wasn't very good - but what airline food is?
Martha

Old Oct 15th, 2000, 02:33 PM
Susan

Jeanne, where are you flying from? There is a thread re Olympic so do a search for Olympic. We flew Olympic from Toronto in September. While it wasn't the worst flight, it wasn't great. They still allow smoking on the flights from Canada (I don't think they allow them into the States now, but still do for Canada). The air was terrible by the time we arrived. Food was so so. Luckily we had brought our own headphones because they made an announcement at the beginning of the flight - because they didn't have enough headphones, no one would get a headphone! I guess it's democratic .... On the trip back, they had enough.

We were also unlucky enough to get seats in the last row of the first cabin - while it was close to the restroom (which is a mixed blessing), it also meant that we could recline our seats only a couple of inches. As I said, I'm glad we had our headphones - it would have been a very long night otherwise.

I can't say it's the worst flight I've ever had. The advantage was that we flew from Toronto (stopping in Montreal to pick up more passengers) and arrived in Athens. Domestic flights were fine, although tended to be late (that's like any airline!).

Re renting a car on Santorini - I think it's worth it. We had 4 days there, 3 with a car and it was nice to be able to get around. We were staying near Akrotiri and found buses to be rather unreliable. The car was cheap - only $40 Canadian per day (that's about $27 US).

Have a good trip.

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 01:33 AM
Paige

I was just on Santorini and I would recomment Ia, 100%. I thought Fira was too touristy and the sales people were very aggressive. Ia is more laid back and scenic but still with plenty of shops and restaurants. We rented a car one day for 12,000 drachma and drove to Akrotiri. The accessible area is not that big so I'm not sure how the tour can last 6 hours. We spent less than an hour walking through. Driving and parking on Santorini was easy.
Our first night on Santorini was spent in Imeroviglia at the Roccabella Hotel. Don't stay there!! I thought Imeroviglia was right by Fira but this place was out in the middle of nowhere. The staff was unprofessional and seedy and it looked like an apartment complex in Dallas. They spent a lot of effort making the outside look good (pool and all that) but the rooms are tiny and the bathrooms are ridiculously small. The 'huge buffet breakfast' was hardly huge and served on a tiny patio surrounded by plastic sheeting. Not very pleasant. Also, there was a road in front of the complex (between the hotel and the view) which was full of trash and construction materials. Not a nice place to stay.

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 04:42 PM
Diane

I stayed at both Sun Rocks Villas and Petasos Beach Hotel last year. Loved both of them and their locations. Sun Rocks is within walking distance of Fira, but in a quiet location. We splurged and had the higher priced room which turned out to be a huge suite with a kitchen and large veranda. The bathroom was large and beautiful. We were in heaven. The people there were friendly and made us feel welcome.

Petasos Beach Hotel: We had similar luck with the people there -- they could not have been nicer. I felt this was an excellent value. The bus to town stops right in front of the hotel and is about a 5-7 minute ride for about a dollar. We had a nice room with a small sitting area with a TV (cable stations). The bathroom had some nice amenities like hairdryer and mitten washclothes. The room was bright, a plus for me because so many hotels have dark rooms with dim light bulbs. The hotel has a nice pool. The buffet breakfast was substantial and you can sit right at the ledge of the sea.

I have a webpage with photos of both these hotels: www.travelswithdiane.homestead.com
It's non-commercial. Email me direct if you have any specific questions about these hotels.

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 04:45 PM
Diane

I really can spell -- honest I can.
I meant WASHCLOTHS, not washclothes, and EDGE, not ledge.

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 06:33 PM
Kay

Jeanne,
Any of the hotels/restaurants on the caldera rim should have a beautiful sunset view. We took the local bus to Oia to see the sunset and it was so cloudy you couldn't see a thing. Just happened to be unlucky that night. Oia is quieter than Fira and there are more shops and restaurants in Fira. Depends what you like. It's easy to get buses between the two.
We caught the bus to Akrotiri, thought it was dreadful. Not much to see, so we had a look around and caught the next bus back. Glad I didn't pay for a tour.
When on Mykonos we took the ferry (about 40 min trip) to the island of Delos, fantastic ruins, mosaic floors,etc, brilliant views from the highest point of the island. The whole island is a sacred site, heaps better than Akrotiri which was a real disappointment. Try and get to Delos if you like historical sites.
I hope you have a great time, Kay.

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 06:39 PM
Jeanne

Wow- I can't believe all the responses I've received so far and I want to thank all of you for taking the time to write me and tell me all about your experiences in Santorini and Mykonos. I just can't seem to put my finger on where to stay. Firostefani is in the running (Sun Rocks) but in the back of my mind, I keep thinking about Ia (Espera Villas). I want to be away from the tourists but close to the town. I will be flying out of JFK but not sure if I should fly Olympic or Delta. In your "opinions" if you were to go back again to Santorini, where would you stay? As a honeymoon couple which is most romantic- Ia or Firostefani. The other question is about the tours in Santorini. When you rented a car were you able to get to all the sites and see them on your own? Do you suggest I book any one particular tour ahead of time in the states before I get there or could I do it when I arrive? As far as Mykonos, I have narrowed it down to Petassos Beach. My only concern is the distance to town. I read it 20 minutes. Do you suggest I rent a car and do the tours on my own? If I fly Olympic, I will pack a "dinner" and headphones. Thanks again for all the advice you can give. It is very much appreciated. Jeanne

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 10:06 PM
Diane

I have been to Akrotiri twice. The first time was on tour. The tour operator gave us wonderful descriptions about what life must have been like back then and the ruins came to life in my mind. When I went back last year my friend and I took the bus there and walked through on our own. It was boring. So....I recommend if you go through Akrotiri, take a tour.

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 06:08 PM
jenny

I had an guide who made the Akrotiri tour interesting and he brought us to the museum in Fira after that which was great. My vote goes to staying in Oia and renting a car to get around.