Reload this Page >

Region of Burgundy

Search

Region of Burgundy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 11:22 AM
pdv28

Region of Burgundy

I am thinking about going to Burgundy for a daytrip or possibly to overnight. I would like to see some smaller towns like Savigny-Les-Beaune. I would like to train to Beaune, but I can't tell if you can train from Beaune to other towns in the vicinity of the towns in the Cote D'Or. If there aren't trains, would it be easy to walk in this area? <BR> <BR>Also, do you have any recommendations for smaller, romantic provincial towns in the area? If you have been, what was transportation like? <BR> <BR>Any and all recommendations are welcomed! <BR>Thanks again! <BR>Patricia

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 11:54 AM
Lori

Hi Patricia, <BR> <BR>I just returned from the Burgundy region. We stayed for 3 nights in Chorey Les Beaune, a 5 minute drive from Beaune at a wonderful chateau called Chateau Chorey Les Beaune. We also stayed 1 night in Gevrey Chambertin at the Hotel Les Grand Crus, and 1 night in Dijon. The small towns are quite nice, with lots of wineries open to the public for tasting and of course purchasing. I don't believe that you can train from Beaune to the outlying villages. I think the best way to see this area is to rent a car. Walking would be difficult as you are limited to the A6, a motorway, or the D122 - the Route de Grand Crus. I believe that there may be some tours out of Beaune to some of the various wineries, you can check at the tourist information office.

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 01:09 PM
pdv28

Lori, <BR> <BR> Thanks for responding to my inquiry. Do you happen to know if there are buses(that aren't winery tours per se) out of Beaune to the surrounding vicinity? <BR> <BR>Thanks so much!!! <BR>Patricia <BR>

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 04:59 AM
Lori

Patricia, I don't recall seeing any buses other than tour buses. I still feel that in order to get a feel for the area and appreciate it's beauty, you need to rent a car.

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 02:12 PM
pdv28

I would like to have a car, but most likely won't have one. I was hoping it might be easy to get around the region by train. I know that Beaune and Santenay,and Dijon have sncf stations, but do any of the other towns in the Cote D'or? <BR> <BR>Thanks everyone! <BR>Patricia <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 07:10 PM
Loy

There is excellent regular scheduled bus service between Dijon and Beaune, as well as to points South of Beaune. The bus runs along Route N74. It goes right through Nuits-Saint-Georges, where you can wander through the vineyards of some of the best vintages ever made. There is a good hotel there, as well as restaurants. Try the Cafe de la Gare for lunch; you won't be disappointed, if you like France and things French. Contact me by e-mail if you have any other question on this.

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 08:30 PM
I Smell

Patricia, <BR> <BR>I’m beginning to wonder if you’re really going on a trip or if you’re planning to spend your life asking questions on this forum. You’ve created at least 24 posts in the last 2 months – 9 of them on hotels in Paris (4 of the 9 were on the Hotel des 3 Colleges and each post had responses), 8 on the south of France. Even when you get responses you still ask the same question a few days later. Why don’t you just top your own posts instead of creating new ones or search for the information that already exists here. First you were thinking of going to Paris and Italy, then Paris and the south of France. And now you’re going to Burgundy. I’m beginning to think you’re a troll since your criteria for the trip keeps changing – you keep jumping in on your own posts adding information instead of thinking ahead about what you want. You should know by now that the trains don’t go to small towns and you’re not going to get to a lot of places you’re asking about by train. Take a look at a guide book and make a decision. <BR> <BR>There are people who visit this forum with a lot of knowledge and are very willing to help others. Don’t take up their time unless you are indeed looking to travel and need help. <BR>

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 07:50 PM
pdv28

To the last person, this is definitely not a troll. Sorry to disappoint you, since you were obviously looking to find one. <BR> <BR>Patricia