Santorini Hotels

Search

Santorini Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Santorini Hotels

We are going be in Santorini for 3 nights June 21-24, 2007 to finish off our honeymoon in Europe. We are flying to Santorini and would like to stay in either Fira or Oia. We are willing to spend about $300/night, possibly slightly more, but are looking for the most romantic, nice place that we can get for that price. Any suggestions? Many thanks in advance.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 11:39 AM

Check out the Honeymoon Suite at Anastasis Apartments www.anastasisapartments.com/, lovely!
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Tere~

You are rubbing salt in the wound! ;-) We had our hearts set on Anastasis Apartments, they are such a steal, but, of course, they are already booked for our dates! Thanks for the recommendation though. Any others?
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 02:06 PM

Brotherleelove2004, a poster who is very knowledgeable about Santorini often recommends Lava Oia Traditional Houses.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 03:19 PM

True, but my most favorite of all in Oia are the Aspaki Suites at www.artmaisons.gr. I haven't seen the Oia Castle yet, it wasn't open in 2005, but the owner's decorating style is spectacular, fun and traditional all rolled up into a fantastic ball! Hopefully I'll be staying in one of these next May.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 04:36 PM

Atlantis Villas in Oia. We stayed there for our honeymoon almost 10 years ago. It is awesome.

http://tinyurl.com/vrk3n
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 12:17 AM

Desiree:

Already booked for your dates?? I am sorry to hear that! Hope you are able to find another beautiful place.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 04:34 AM

Stefcar,

I believe Atlantis Villas is now Kirini. We stayed there in May 2005 when the Katikies Hotel Group just took it over. Originally it was called Katikies Suites, but now Kirini.

In any event, I do believe Atlantis does not exist and Kirini is in its place. It is well over the OP's budget.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 05:51 AM

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! For a honeymoon, I would choose Oia over Fira any day of the week. Fira gets so many cruise ship passengers that it can get really busy and that's not the romantic atmosphere you're looking for. Depending on how you arrive, you can get a cab to Oia (about 20&euro or a bus (1.50&euro. The bus is very easy, btw. It's about 25 minute journey along the road which gives the most glorious views of the terraced fields below.

If you can possibly stretch, I would book Esperas Hotel. The location is simply stunning. You will arrive in a dusty carpark and be met by a very nice man who will carry your luggage to the hotel (they don't use donkeys!!). You follow him, twisting and turning, walk down some stairs and then you are met by the most amazing view!! Esperas faces a narrow stretch of water where ships come and go. We spent hours just reading, gazing and drinking wine.

All the rooms are different. You could afford a studio but if you can stretch to a Traditional house, that would be better as the studios are a little cramped. They do have a couple of honeymoon suites but I'm not sure they are worth the extra cost. The decor in the hotel is rustic - this is not super duper luxury. You are paying for the view and because of the location of Esperas (it's way down the end of Oia and off the beaten track of most wandering tourists), it's really private. The hotel does not allow small children so it's great for a honeymoon!
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 05:11 PM

I'll second the recommendation for the Aspaki suites in Oia. Our suite was large and comfortable with a private terrace with an incredible view of the caldera. It is in the middle of the village but has to be the most private house in Oia because it sits out on the edge of the cliff. The view is glorious and unobstructed.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your input. I think we've narrowed it down to the Esparas Traditional Houses in Oia (thanks for the recommendation endlessummer!) and Artemis Villas in Imerovigli. Artemis Villas are considerably cheaper, but I believe this is because there is no bar/restaurant at thier hotel and I believe that it is not really that close to much else? Is this correct? Is Esparas close to the village of Oia? Are there plenty of restaurants/bars in Oia, or should we be looking for a place closer to Fira? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 08:59 AM

Don't know about Artemis, but did stay at Esperas in Sept. There is a bar and restaurant on site. It is also about a 10+ minute walk to town. I wouldn't stay in Fira. We went there to take a boat trip and after the calmness of Oia, Fira was very chaotic and I couldn't wait to leave. There are lots of people in Ia when the boats come in, but at Esperas you far enough out that you can avoid them
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 09:03 AM

Oia is small. Esperas is IN the village, at the end that looks out to the sunset. The higher cost at Esperas stems from their location, popularity, room quality and services. Oia has plenty of excellent restaurants, but only a few mellow bars. If you want dancing and more of a "club scene" you're better off staying closer to Fira. Although Oia is only 7 miles from Fira, the road is tricky at night and the taxis get scarce after midnight.

Imerovigli is about 2 KM from Fira and it's an uphill walk, so if you plan to do some late-night partying, keep that in mind when deciding where to stay. Fira or Firostefani might be a better fit for that.

You might like the Loucas Hotel:

http://www.greekhotel.com/cyclades/s...lucas/home.htm
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 05:52 PM

We stayed last summer at The Katikies
in Oia. It could not have been more beautiful. The private dinner in The White Cave at the hotel was incredibly memorable,For a honeymoon Oia is the spot
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Okay, I think that we've ruled out Artemis Villas in Imerovigli due to its location, so we are still seriously considering Esparas Traditional Houses in Oia, but we are also looking at Athena Repose, which I believe is close to Fira. Any feedback between these two? We're not looking to get crazy at night, would just like a good selection of restaurants and shops to browse through.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 09:19 AM

Oia has many excellent restaurants including 1800, Candouni, Ambrosia & Nectar, Katina's Fish Taverna, Pelekanos, Skala, Thomas Grill, Petro's, Laokasti and Neptune. There are lots of high-quality shops for art and clothing as well as several souvenier shops throughout the village.

From their website Athina Repose looks very nice. It's right in the heart of Fira down the cliff away from the crowds so it should be nice and quiet there. The reviews on www.tripadvisor.com are favorable.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 06:09 PM

WE want to stay in Anastasis Apartments in SAntorini, but I've sent three emails requesting a reservation and they haven't responded. Help!
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 06:37 PM

If it's that important to you, call them.

O11-30-22860-25508 or 22577
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 09:07 PM

Someone wrote about a lodging in Oia with many pools that wrap around the hillside...Which one is that? I lost track.

Thanks!
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 10:14 PM

I think you must be mistaken. Property is so valuable in Oia that no one would use so much of it for a group of pools when they can build rooms to generate income. Perhaps they were seeing pools from several different properties in close proximity to each other and thought they were all part of the same complex.

But if I'm wrong I too would sure like to know where this place is located.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -