Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Santorini Bus Schedule During Greek Orthodox Easter Weekend

Old Oct 2nd, 2022, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have searched high and low and can't find any information on whether buses on Santorini run a regular or reduced schedule during the Greek Orthodox Easter weekend, so I'm wondering if anyone has information they can provide? I'm specifically looking to use the bus quite a bit on the Saturday between Good Friday and Easter Sunday but not sure if that will be a feasible option.
Old Oct 2nd, 2022, 12:55 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to Europe Forum and tagged for Greece
Old Oct 2nd, 2022, 06:32 PM

It night be a bit early since it is 6 months away. Hopefully those familiar with Greece will chime in. But perhaps consider also posting on Trip Advisor - they often have some locals who may give you an idea of their local customs.
Old Oct 3rd, 2022, 12:52 AM

Greek Orthodox Easter is April 16th in 2023, which is off-season, so buses will still be on their reduced winter schedules. If anything, except for Easter Sunday, there will be buses added for the additional visitors, including Greeks returning to their home island for Easter week.

Frequency will be less than in the summer, because off-season bus schedules are designed to get locals to work and school in the morning, then home again in the afternoon. Suggest you rent a car.

Last edited by Heimdall; Oct 3rd, 2022 at 12:56 AM.
Old Oct 3rd, 2022, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the comments. With buses being on a reduced winter schedule I'm thinking that it might be better to just arrange for a private driver in order to see the villages we want to get to that day without trying to wait on buses all day long. Thanks again for the insight! I've been debating between the bus and driver (we don't have an interest in getting a car and hassling with parking issues during the Easter holiday with so many people visiting the island), so this has been very helpful.
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 04:05 AM

A private driver for one day sounds like a good idea, but I think most of the time a combination of bus and taxi would get you where you want to go. I’ve never been lucky enough to be on Santorini for Greek Easter, but it will be a memorable experience for you, especially Good Friday at the village of Pyrgos. Be sure to have reservations for somewhere to eat on Easter Sunday.
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Heimdall, that's another option for sure, but I understand taxi's are quite expensive so I will just have to weigh the costs between both. We actually have an Airbnb in Pyrgos and did not even plan to be there over Greek Easter since this is a birthday trip, but it just so happened that way and we're pretty excited about getting to experience such a special event there. Thanks for suggesting the Easter restaurant reservations. I will do that.
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 06:55 AM

For a car and driver on Santorini for less than a taxi contact Gabi Birbeck in the "Santorini Secrets" group on Facebook. She lives on the island and provides transfer services for a reasonable cost.
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

brotherleelove2004, I have actually been in touch with Gabi thru that group and definitely plan to use her for our transfers to and from the airport / seaport. I also have someone thru Airbnb who comes highly recommended for a day tour, but I'm still thinking of hiring Gabi for that, as well. Thanks!