Search

Santorini

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Santorini

Hello everyone,

My fiance and I are going to Athens in June 2004. We would like to go to Santorini for about 4 days. I was just wondering if anybody knows how I can get there (ferry, plane), is it also possible to buy tickets for the ferries online.

Can somebody also recommend some accommadations in Oia. We are looking for something traditional with a pool and nice views. Something under 130 EUROs.
Where is it better to stay in Santorini Oia, Fira or Imerovig?

Thank you for all your help

Angela
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:47 PM

Go to www.santorini.gr
Masses of information. I would fly if you are only going to Santorini, it is not much more than the cost of the ferry. Most people recommend Oia, I have only been to Thira but spectacular views from anywhere on that coast.
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 08:35 AM
sisterleebore2004

The ferry is cheapest, at least 4/day. Buy your tickets in Athens/Piraeus the day before. All places overlooking the Caldera are pricey, Traditional will not have a poool.... only pseudo traditional.

Old Apr 5th, 2004, 09:33 PM

To get to Santorini, you can either take a regular speed ferry (cheapest, about 8 hours), a high speed ferry (I think around $50, 4 hours), or a plane (about 100 euros, 30 min). I don't like wasting time when traveling, so my vote is for the plane. Definitely fly Aegean Airlines. www.aegean-air.gr

As for what city to stay in. . . it depends on what you want. Fira is close to the Old Port, it's where all the tour buses depart from, there are museums and tons of restaurants and shops. I loved Fira. Imerovigli is at the highest point on the caldera and offers great views. Oia is a more quiet, peacefull village. If you want things to do, stay in Fira. If you want a more quiet, relaxing trip, choose Imerovigli or Oia.

Enjoy your trip!
www.santorini-greece.biz
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 11:00 PM

Aegean Air charges 57 Euro one way.

Imagine the letter 'C' reversed in your mind. The ferry port of Athinios is at the bottom of the C, Fira is at the inside center of the curve and Oia is at the top of the C. By road It's about 30 km from Oia to the port.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 04:07 AM

I loved Santorini!!! We flew in from Athens (later took the ferry to other islands before getting back to Athens). My husband and I stayed in Fira at the Enigma Apartments (no pool) which has wonderful views of the caldera. I don?t know the price today, but we loved it. You can view photos on my web site: http://greece2001mjp.homestead.com/greece2001.html I also have my journal and restaurant list ? don?t miss the gyros at Lucky?s!!!

On my cruise last year, I got to visit Oia, which was so beautiful, a perfect place for a relaxing and quiet time. Fira is more active at night, something I prefer. Friends of ours stayed in Imerovigli, but didn?t care for the location ? too far to walk to Fira. It is a hike.

Have a great time.

Monica

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 09:05 AM

www.ferries.gr has information on ferry transportation. I'd recommend flying on either Aegean Air or Olympic. Aegean tends to have cheaper prices, but fewer departures than Olympic.