Santorin, Mykonos, Naxos--what order?

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 03:54 PM
janelle

Santorin, Mykonos, Naxos--what order?

Planning a 10 day trip (overnight in Athens not included) to Santorini, Mykonos and either Paros or Naxos in May. We'd like to start the trip off in Santorini, from there we're not sure which order to visit the others. Between Naxos and Paros, do you have a preference? We don't want to do both as time is limited and we don't want to go to too many places and not really relax. Any hotel recommendations for Paros and Naxos would be appreciated too.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 04:19 PM
michelle

I went to the greek islands for my honeymoon and absolutely loved it. My husband and I went to Santorini, naxos, and Sifnos.

I absolutely loved Naxos! It was such a pleasant surprise because I didn't know what to expect. And I think you should do Naxos just as we did:

1. Stay in a hotel in Agia Anna specifically the IRIA Beach Hotel Apartments (Agia Anna, GR 84300-
tel:0285-42600.) Agia Anna is a charming beach town.

2. Rent a jeep and hang out in Naxos town at night (about a 10 minute drive). Naxos town is terrific but busy and crowded.

3. Spend some time at the Alyko beach - the most secluded beautiful beach I've ever been to.

I thought Santorini was great. We stayed at the Regina Mare hotel. It was a walk to Thira (approx. 20 minutes) - where the action is. But the walk is along the ocean and very beautiful and interesting (restaurants, shops, and beautiful sights along the way). We did the walk most nights.

I can't help you on Mykonos.

Michelle

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:42 PM
Will

I've actually got a similar question, so I figure I'll just add it to Janelle's thread --

We are ending our Europe trip in Santorini this summer, and it turns out that we'll have 2 1/2 extra days -- we're considering going to either Naxos, Paros, Mykonos/Delos, or Crete.

Any suggestions on which place might be the best ? We're leaning toward Naxos or Paros at this point...

Thanks!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:51 PM
Melissa

Spent 2 weeks in Greece. Our itinerary went like this: 2 nights in Athens, 4 nights in Mykonos, 3 nights in Paros and 4 nights in Santorini. I loved ending our trip in Santorini. It was so beautiful! There are some great places to stay in Fira (Thira) on the cliff overlooking the sea. Paros was a little quieter with less to do, so it was a nice break to have in the middle of the trip.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 09:15 PM
mike

melissa's plan sounds good...santorini is an excellent place to remember greece by...paros is also a good choice for some quiet r&r with pretty good beaches & restaurants..we also stopped by syros on a side trip from mykonos; the view on the top of mountain is breathtaking..plus you can enjoy it with the cats...they're EVERYWHERE!!

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 04:53 AM
Susan

Years ago, I went to both Paros and Naxos. I enjoyed both, but especially Naxos. I went back to Naxos in September 2000, and it was still a wonderful destination. There's lots of history there (Venetian quarter in the old town, etc.), plus some nice beaches.

We took a hydrofoil from Santorini to Naxos and then flew from Naxos to Athens at the end of the trip.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 11:58 AM
ppp

Blue Star Ferries catamarans between Paros and Santorini, in May, depart daily (except Tuesdays) at 11am, arriving 40 minutes later. On Tuesdays, the departure is at 2:25pm, arriving 1 hour later.
If you choose Naxos (which is undoubtely nicer than Paros) unless you travel on a Tuesday, you´ll have difficulties reaching Paros in time to catch the catamaran. A night in Paros may be called for

From a logistics standpoint, therefore, Paros might be a better choice.