Santa Semana-more info please

Old May 17th, 2002, 05:32 AM
hubby

Santa Semana-more info please

Can you tell me exactly the dates (next year) that this holy celebration will take place? We want to travel to Spain in April but avoid Santa Semana. Would Barcelona be the same at that time - crowded, hard to get reservations etc.?

Old May 17th, 2002, 05:45 AM
Zorro

Semana Santa is the same week as good friday

Old May 17th, 2002, 06:30 AM
Ben

Next year Semana Santa will be the week of the 13-20 April. Monday 21 also a holiday in some regions of Spain.
I thought everybody was leaving Barcelona at Semana Santa going to the nearest beaches or to the Pyrinees Mountains. I can't believe that it is crowded at Easter, there are to many traffic jams leaving by Thursday and and comming by Monday ...

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:36 AM
xxx

Semana Santa is the Easter week.

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Kathy

Santa Semana is HOLY week (Palm Sunday through Easter Sunday). Since Easter is on a different day each year, it follows that Santa Semana moves as well.

Next year, it'll be April 13 through 20. As Ben reports, some countries celebrate the 21st as a holiday also - Easter Monday.

I'm not sure I understand your question about Barcelona. All the major cities in Spain, including Barcelona, are very busy and crowded during Santa Semana.