Easter - Malaga, Girona or neither

Jan 17th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Easter - Malaga, Girona or neither

Just getting started on planning our Easter break. I was doing well, had figured out our criteria (small airport, short flight from Dublin, short taxi ride from airport to accomodation, warm(ish) weather, somewhere not too large with good food and a nice relaxed atmosphere), and narrowed it down to Malaga and Girona, both serviced by our trusty RyanAir.

I was just starting my research and trying to figure out where to stay when I realised it is Easter, yes, I should have noticed that at the beginning and it seems that in Spain Easter is a pretty big deal. Normally I would be all on for that, fiestas, processions etc but we have a 4 year old daughter and what we want is EASY, i.e. nice and relaxing.

We would be arriving on the Thursday before Easter for 5 or 6 nights. On the one hand Easter sounds like a magical time to visit with atmosphere in spades. On the other hand one thing that is an absolute must for me on holidays is a good nights sleep and I read of parades that do not stop until midnight, am fearful that we will not be able to see anything with all the crowds and that we will be queuing for hours to get tables at restaurants (again because of the crowds) etc etc.

In Malaga before I read what a big deal Semanta Santa is I had narrowed it down to 3 places to stay, one apartment by the beach, one hotel right by the cathedral and one parador a short taxi ride from the centre.

Advice please would be much appreciated:

1. Should I keep looking at Spain or accept that with a 4 year old Easter might be too much hassle?

2. Is Easter different in the two towns, i.e. is it a bigger deal in Malaga (in which case should we opt for Girona which might be less hectic) or is it much of a muchness?

3. If I opted for Malaga which location should I choose (I would have naturally opted for the cathedral hotel on the basis that we could sit on our balcony and see all the action without jostling for position among the crowds. However if this means we can expect a party outside our window until 2am I would definitely choose elsewhere).

Thanks so much!

Jane
Jan 17th, 2011, 06:58 AM

Easter in Málaga is a VERY big deal and miles away from "nice and relaxing" (come back some other time, Málaga is fabulous). I don't know exactly the Semana Santa traditions in Girona, but in general the celebrations in the north is a different world, much more what you are looking for.
Jan 17th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much kimhe.

I had done much less work on Girona (OK, no work!) but I think I'd better start the research.

Really appreciate the clear response!

Jane
Jan 17th, 2011, 07:32 AM

Girona won't be quiet during Semana Santa. There is a very famous procession on Good Friday and Sant Jordi's Day - the patron saint of Catalonia - on April 23. Expect crowds.
Jan 17th, 2011, 08:03 AM

Nothing additional to add to what has already been stated, but Semana Santa is a huge deal all throughout Spain. Obviously the extent of the celebrations vary greatly from town to town, city to city etc.

I was actually in Sevilla for Palm Sunday (the kick-off of sorts for Semana Santa celebrations) and it was absolutely nuts. However, a friend of mine was in the small town of Trujillo (in the region of Extremedura) and while it was more low key, as in the town was not overrun, hotels booked solid, etc, she could still witness some of the celebrations.

I'd recommend sticking to an area much more off the beaten path. There are countless towns along the costa del sol that are much smaller, less visited by the masses of tourists. Or, I'd also suggest one of the pueblos blancos. Further inland, but a doable drive to the coast.

Good luck!

traveltalesfromtheredheadedtraveler.blogspot.com/
(My travel writing blog!)
Jan 17th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

OK thanks very much guys. I think maybe we will give Spain a miss this year - I take your points re "off the beaten track" and will definitely seek out some off the beaten track places for our summer break. For the spring holiday which is really only a few days we like somewhere readily accessible where we don't have to spend any time renting cars etc.

We were in France the last few years and it worked well, although last year in Biarritz was a bit rainy hence the thought that we might try further south. I might try the south east of France.

Thanks all!

Jane