Sant Sadurní d’Anoia, spain

Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Sant Sadurní d’Anoia, spain

My sister and I will be in Barcelona in april. We want to take a day trip to the cava wineries in Sant Sadurnia D' Anoia. Unsure about the train to get there, how long and can we then walk from the train to several wineries in the town? We dont wan to hire a guide as they seem so expensive. Any advise is helpful.
thanks
Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:39 PM

I have not done this by train, but we were intending to when we were in BCN in January. I understand that the train stops right next to the Freixenet winery and that you can walk to others in town, though the architecturally most interesting one, Cordonui may require a bus or cab ride. Hope Maribel sees this and gives you more complete information, but it is definitely doable by train from BCN.
Feb 22nd, 2009, 02:56 PM

From my Barcelona guide-

The Penedès Wine Country

• Freixenet - The cava bodegas, which produce Spain’s “bubbly”, at Sant Sadurni d’Anoia, are easily reached by train and make a nice half-day outing.
Catch the RENFE commuter train, the C4, from Plaça de Catalunya, or Sants station. See the schedule at www.renfe.es The trains depart hourly from 6:00 to 10:00 in the morning. The trip takes 45 minutes.
As you exit the train station, the Freixenet cellars will be right across the highway. Free 1 1/2 hr. tours are currently given on Monday - Thursday from 10-1, then 3-4:30, on Fri./Sat./holidays from 10-1 only. And some days in July and Aug. have truncated hours from 10-4. You can see the tour calendar at www.freixenet.es. Before you go be sure to check the calendar and reserve a space online. Cost: €6

• Codorníu - This is the most impressive bodega of the 50+ in the town, housed in a beautiful Modernista building designed by Puig I. Cadafalch, and declared a national monument. It has a cava museum. It's located near the exit 27 off the Barcelona highway, on Avenida Jaume Codorníu. Here again, you will be taken around portions of the 26 km long underground cellars by train-the largest underground cellars in the world. The winery is open for visits Monday – Friday from 9– 5 and on Sat./Sun./holidays from 9-1 only. Visits are strictly by appointment only, and you can book online at www.codorniu.com Cost: €2 (may be a euro or two more in '09).

To see a list and map of all the Sant Sadurní d'Anoia cellars, click on "cerca de caves" to the left and you'll have a drop down menu of all the wineries:
http://oslo.geodata.es/stsadurnia/guia.php

For those who would like more leisurely touring of the Penedès, El Moli Tours offers "sip and cycle" touring of the region. www.elmolitours.com

Feb 22nd, 2009, 04:31 PM

We were planning to do the same thing in early June. We contacted 2 cava producers. We went on the website www.renfe.es and cannot figure out what train to take to Sant Sadurní d’Anoia. This town does not seem to be listed. How do we find the train schedule to get to that town?
Feb 22nd, 2009, 04:59 PM

On the renfe home page, you need to go to the Cercanias (commuter) train section and choose Barcelona from the drop down menu. Then on the next page, click on Horarios (schedules), then under Origen, choose Barcelona Placa de Catalunya, and under Destino, choose Sant Sadurni. Then you should see the schedule.
Feb 23rd, 2009, 06:20 AM

Thank you for the detailed answer. Should we book the tickets in advance, in Canada, or just buy them when we get to the train station?
Feb 26th, 2009, 11:55 AM

Since it's a commuter train, you can't buy tickets in advance. Buy them at the station the morning of your excursion.

Search this Thread