San Sebastián to Madrid Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2018, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Working on a tentative itinerary as outlined below. Request feedback on proposed time allocation and possible additional locations and/or easy daytrips. Plan to use trains and maybe a bus on short segments. I might be able to add a few days to the trip. Looking to go in either May or Sep. Primary interests are: history, architecture, churches, gardens, fountains, bridges, wine, regional food. I used some trips reports to develop the itinerary. Will research major attractions soon and then ask for inputs on separate new threads.

San Sebastián: 5 nights
Burgos: 3 nights
Salamanca: 4 nights
Avila: 1 night
Segovia: 2 nights
Old Dec 29th, 2018, 10:02 AM
kja

Should be nice and leisurely!

One possible tweak for your consideration: Add a few nights in Bilbao, whether by adding time to the trip or taking a night or two from San Sebastian. Personally, I greatly preferred Bilbao to San Sebastian, but know that many others feel differently.
Old Dec 29th, 2018, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kja
Should be nice and leisurely!

One possible tweak for your consideration: Add a few nights in Bilbao, whether by adding time to the trip or taking a night or two from San Sebastian. Personally, I greatly preferred Bilbao to San Sebastian, but know that many others feel differently.
kja - good point. I was on the fence about adding it. Will look at it further.
Old Dec 29th, 2018, 10:29 AM
kja

If you haven't seen my trip report already, you might find some useful information:
Four Awesome Weeks in the North of Spain and Catalunya
Old Dec 29th, 2018, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kja
If you haven't seen my trip report already, you might find some useful information:
Four Awesome Weeks in the North of Spain and Catalunya
kja, great report, but you move at the speed of sound 😬
Old Dec 29th, 2018, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

A friend suggests adding Leon and Santander. Thoughts? Leon too similar to Burgos? Santander to similar to San Sebastián?
Old Dec 29th, 2018, 12:05 PM
kja

I did not find Leon too similar to Burgos, although it wouldn't surprise me if some people would have been more struck by their similarities than their differences.

I didn't think Santander anything like San Sebastian. IMO, Santander makes a good base for some of the nearby caves with prehistoric art and it has a small, but excellent archeology museum (the Museo de Prehistoria y Arqueologia de Calabria). I'm not sure I would make a point of including Santander in your itinerary unless those things are of a particularly high priority. Just my opinion.
Old Dec 29th, 2018, 01:44 PM

I liked San Sebastian more than Bilbao but agree with Kja that it's worth going to and I think you have plenty of nights that you could spare a couple. I also loved Leon and Santander but not sure you have enough nights to do those three plus the 5 on your list. I would say you could take one or two from San Sebastian (I loved it, but I think three nights would be enough), and Salamanca you could also afford to take one night from there. Avila was pretty small, I did it as a day trip from Segovia and was happy with that.

How about something like San Sebastian 3, Bilbao 2, Burgos 3, Leon 2, Salamanca 3, Segovia 2. That doesn't include Santander and has Avila as a stop over en route.

Here's my trip report that includes some of these - Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)

And the rest of them - Spain Photos (lots) and trip report (a little) from July trip to central Spain
Old Dec 29th, 2018, 11:17 PM
Original Poster

Isabel

great trip report and photos. I like your proposed revision.
Old Dec 30th, 2018, 09:12 AM
kja

Originally Posted by isabel
Avila was pretty small, I did it as a day trip from Segovia and was happy with that.
I'm sure that many people find a day trip to Avila sufficient. I was glad to have a night and full day there.
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 01:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Sembach:

I have started a trip report on my October trip to the region covering the same cities. I may actually finish by the time you go

Ger’s Trip Report: From Bilbao to Toledo September 2018

I did not make it to SS, but adored Bilbao and would highly recommend a visit. Burgos is beautiful and I could gladly live in Salamanca. I did Avila as a day trip from Salamanca on my way to Segovia, stashing my luggage in the bus station in Avila. I found one day sufficient. Use the extra night in Salamanca.

Back later after I check my notes.

regards Ger
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 02:38 AM

Another thought!

I much preferred Burgos over Leon. I spent two nights in Leon, but on the second day, having seen the highlights, I took off to Astorga to see the Episcopal Palace by Antonio Gaudí - well worth the journey.
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ger

Your TR and FB posts inspired my trip proposal. Looking to add a few days so I can add bilbao and Valladolid. Leon is on the chopping block ��
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 09:42 AM

Hi there:

If you are an architecture fiend, as I am, here is my advice. If you are substituting Valladolid (delightful little city and one of the best museums of statuary in Spain), then it is only a 70-minute trip to Leon, so you don’t have to ditch Leon. Consider two nights in Valladolid and a day trip to Leon to see (at least) the two major sites, which are extraordinary and highly recommended:

The Cathedral. While not as wonderful as Burgos or Salamanca, it is still outstanding, and worth the journey·

Real Colegiata de San Isidoro de León, which I personally preferred over the Cathedral, and there was a wonderful tour you can book in advance

Casa Botines: A Gaudí-Designed Neo-Gothic Palace: I am being totally frank here. I am a great lover of Gaudi, and wanted to see one of the two/three of his buildings outside Catalonia. I took the tour (the only way to get beyond the ground floor) in Spanish, with an English guide book, and would have gladly chewed my own arm off to escape after about 20 minutes! Honestly, not his best building, very ordinary art works inside. I would not recommend this tour, even for a Gaudi lover.

However, the Gaudi Palace in Astorga is well worth the journey, as is the Cathedral.

Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Castilla y León : Only OK.

So, I’d recommend a sort day trip to Leon taking in the two major sites.

Best regards Ger
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ger

That Daytrip option looks great
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 11:29 AM

I can send you a file I prepared re major sites and opening times.

regards Ger
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OReilly64
I can send you a file I prepared re major sites and opening times.

regards Ger
Thanks Ger

[email protected]
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by sembach
Thanks Ger

Your TR and FB posts inspired my trip proposal. Looking to add a few days so I can add bilbao and Valladolid. Leon is on the chopping block ��
Oh no! I really hope you dont chop off León! Ive been to both, Burgos and Leon, frankly I prefer León. Maybe Burgos Cathedral is more grandiose, but the stained glass in the Leon Cathedral took my breath away. I also enjoyed very much the Barrio Humedo and staying at the Parador.
Previously you asked about Santander vs SS. Ive been to Santander several times and love it, havent been back for about 10 yrs. It has a beautiful bay and beaches, in a way similar to SS. However, I think SS might be more charming and better food.
I agree to try and stay in Bilbao. Loved the Central market there, the museum, and the old town.

Good luck with your planning, you cant go wrong with Northern Spain!

Editing to add, I think 2 nights in Burgos in plenty. Are you spending any time in Madrid? If so you could do Segovia and Avila as day trips from there
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 03:34 PM

León Cathedral images

Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 06:07 PM
kja

Like cruiseluv, I found the stained glass of Leon's cathedral stunning. I saw them just before sunset, and believe there's a legitimate debate about whether they would be best viewed just after sunrise or just before sunset -- neither of which is ideal for a day trip.

And another vote for Leon's Parador and the chance to roam around after those who are staying must leave.

BTW, I would note that those who have visited Avila only by a day trip have no idea what those walls look like after dark. Definitely a memory I treasure!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -