San Gimignano or Venice???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I and 3 friends are going to Italy from the 28 Dec.-3 Jan. We will go to Florence for the 28-31 Dec. and return to Rome for the 31st through the 3rd. My question is this: While we are in Florence, we want to day trip to either San Gimignano (which is closer and cheaper) or Venice. I've always wanted to see Venice, but my husband says SG is also really neat. What should we do? Is SG worth it? Would it be worth the trip to Venice if we can only stay the day? Or should we do SG one afternoon/evening, and Venice one whole day? If we did the latter, that would leave us with only a partial day in Florence. We want to see as much as possible, but also want to enjoy things! Thanks.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 09:53 AM
ira

Hi saraa,

I would go to SG.

You really must stay overnight in Venice to really appreciate it.

Don't take the time away from Florence this trip in order to do SG and Venice.

You will visit Italy again.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 09:53 AM

Its quite a long day to do Venice in a daytrip. I would opt for SG.

I also have to say I am one of the very few who simply do not care for Venice. I find it fairly artificial and too much like Disney or Vegas. But I know this is not the opinion of most.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 09:57 AM

SG. Save Venice for another trip with more time and tie in the lakes.

Old Oct 20th, 2004, 10:00 AM

Savevenice for another trip. Decide about SG when you are in Florence. You may decide to spend all your time in Florence or decide to take a break to SanG, either way you can't go wrong.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 10:09 AM

Venice is absolutely the more fabulous place but with the short time you have, better make it San Gimignano.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 10:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I DO love Venice myself, but would not go that extra distance and make the rest of your trip rushed for only a quick glimpse of it. I've been to Venice twice and stayed 5 days both times, that seemed about the right amount of time for me.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 10:22 AM

Save Venice for when you can give it enough time to stay a couple of nights. The most enjoyable pleasures in Venice are found after the daytrippers leave.

San Gim is a very enjoyable town with nice shops and restaurants and you won't feel so rushed which will leave you more time to just enjoy!
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! It looks like the opinions are unanimous, to not go to Venice this time, and maybe go to San Gimingnano. I appreciate everyone's input.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 12:17 PM

San Gim by all means! You would spend way too much time traveling to Venice and then you would need at least one night there. Outside the walls of San G. there was a FABULOUS restaurant called Da Pode - it it is still there it is not to be missed. It was by far the best food we had our whole entire 3 weeks we were in Europe. In fact, we ate there all 3 nights we were in the area.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 12:27 PM

While I think it would just about kill me to go to Venice for such a short time and not spend the night, I'm not sure that in your circumstances I wouldn't go to Venice over SG. While we were in Venice for a week this summer, we ran into my partner's dermatologist with his wife and two daughters. They were staying at Lake Garda and came to Venice just for the day. When my partner saw him back home, all he could do was say that their two weeks in Italy was all wonderful, but their day in Venice was the highlight--it's all he could talk about!
So while a night may be better, I still think that the experience of visiting Venice even for a day is FAR more exciting than visiting San Gimignano for a day (and yes, I do love SG, also).
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 12:31 PM

From Florence I wouldn't make the drive all the way to Venice just for a day. But I must say I like the town of Volterra MUCH better than San Gimiagno. They're very similar but Volterra has fewer tourists and a bit more to see (a Roman ampitheater, Etruscan ruins, lots of museums and house tours).