San Gimignano or Greve/Montefioralle

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two friends and I are going to Florence in early May. We are taking a day trip to Siena and also a small group wine tour to Montalcino. We are thinking about a third day trip that is a little shorter and are considering either San Gimignano or Greve with a walk (or bus) up to Montefioralle. Both look great, but we are concerned about crowds in San Gimignano--it doesn't sound fun if there are too many people to be able to appreciate the views and scenery, and we don't just want to visit a bunch of cheesy souvenir stores. We are not renting a car and so will be taking the bus. It does look like the buses back to Florence run late, so we could arrive in the early to mid afternoon and leave around 9pm or so.

Any thoughts on the crowds in S.G. in early May and the relative merits of those two destinations?
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 03:32 PM

There is no comparison---San G. is the definitive hill town.
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response. What do you think about the crowds at that time of year? It could be the most wonderful place in the world, but if it's wall-to-wall people, I'm worried we won't appreciate it.
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 04:52 PM
RJD

The crowds at San Gim that time of year will be moderate in my direct experience. And the place is wonderful and worth it. But I've been to Greve a few times and the downtown area is a great space.
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 06:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
San Gimignano is definitely worth seeing! We visited in mid-June one year, arriving from Volterra in the late afternoon. The tour buses were already gone, as the guidebooks had promised. Still plenty of people around, but not huge crowds. Unfortunately, we only spent a couple of hours there before heading up into the hills for dinner at il Casolare di Libbiano.

Had visited Greve on mid-afternoon a day or two earlier, and found the main piazza practically deserted. Pleasant, but not impressive. My wife did score a great buy there on a beautiful red leather jacket. Both Montefioralle and Passignano looked promising, but we only drove past them on the way back to where we were staying.
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 06:31 PM

San Gimignano is well worth a visit and is full of tourists. It has lots to see and some good restaurants. If you want a hill town, it is probably your best bet.

We enjoyed Greve and found Montefioralle to be charming - a very small hill town with charming winding streets and no crowds.
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 07:02 PM

San G for sure! Our favorite hill town; in fact we have stayed there overnight on two trips so far, and will again next time. It is so nice at night, but even in the daytime last summer it wasn't too crowded. I'd get there early in the day so that you can grab a parking spot right outside the town walls. Be sure to get a gelato there; it's "the world's best"!
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! This is helpful. We are of course expecting some crowds but didn't want to find ourselves overwhelmed.

What place has the best gelato, cyber traveler?
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 06:26 AM

It probably is the Gelateria Pluripremiata "di Piazza", on Piazza della Cisterna which is a major square so you cannot miss it. The owner was a member of the Italian team that won the official Gelato World Cup.
The gelato was good, its pistachio really stood out.
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 07:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In my own previous experience the number of visitors may very well depend on both the day of the week and the time of day.

When we last visited in late Spring we arrived in the early afternoon during the week and (we had a rental car) we were eventually able to find a place to park along the road since the lots were pretty much full. Your bus of course won't suffer that problem.

There were areas of the town which were very crowded and as you might expect many of the visitors were from other European countries. But the town is actually large enough that not every area was jam packed so you should enjoy it. The views are wonderful, too.
Old Apr 26th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I'll report back on what we end up doing.
Old Apr 26th, 2013, 07:31 PM

Reading, yes the gelato is in Piazza dellaCisterna. Carlym, you can't miss it, because there is almost always a line! However, they are very efficient and the line moves quickly. BTW, if you enjoy shopping, you will find some lovely and unique shops in San G--definitely not just cheesy souvenir shops at all!