Search

San Gimignano

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Gimignano

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Tuscany in September, 2009. We are wondering what is it like to stay in San G. in Septmember? Is it still very touristy? Other suggestions? We want some activity, we don't want to be in the countryside, we would like to be in a small town. We are also looking to book some day cooking lessons - any suggestions?Thanks for all of your help.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 04:37 PM

>>we don't want to be in the countryside, <<

Why??? - the Tuscany countryside is breathtaking !!!

If you mean you don't want to stay overnight in the countryside, that's a different matter.

San G gets a lot of day trippers - too many for me in early Sept - perhaps tolerable in later Sept. We always stay overnight there (4 different times), and arrive after about 5:00pm and leave before 11am. It's actually quite active in the late afternoon & at night (active for me - but maybe not for someone in their 20s who wants night club/dancing/etc.). If you're planning to tour Chianti/Siena/etc - I think it would be a good base.

My favorite area, however, is the Val d'Orcia in the Montepulciano/Pienza/San Quirico/Montalcino region.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 06:21 PM

We were in San Gimignano for three nights in the busiest time of late summer and couldn't figure out what people meant about it being too busy and touristy. On the last day we figured it out when we spent a little more time IN town during the afternoon. Every other day we were gone all day (while the town was jammed with day trippers). They left in the late afternoon as we arrived back to that wonderful and picturesque town which was not packed with tourists at night. I think it's a delightful place to stay.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 07:11 PM

Stay in San G. and use it as a base for travelling to other towns during the day. In the evening and early morning it is magical and you don't have to work around the masses.

Old Oct 29th, 2008, 08:30 PM

We were there mid September this year and loved it. I did not find the crowds overwhelming but must admit the atmosphere was nicer after 4pm and before 10am the next day.