One day in Tuscany

Mar 8th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

One day in Tuscany

We're staying a few night in Florence and plan to rent a car for one day and drive through tuscany and return to Florence in the evening. Trying to figure out how much we can do in one day. We don't have to visit every church and museum. Thinking of driving south from Florence through Chiani (Route 222) and then turning at Castellina toward San Gimignano, maybe having lunch, taking a walk, and then on to some place else. Somebody told me San G. was too touristy and I should do Volterra instead. We're also considering Sienna, and Montalcino and Montepulciano but they seem a bit too far(obviously, not doing all of those in one day, but trying to figure out how much we can reasonably do in a day). Suggestions?
Mar 8th, 2007, 01:14 PM

Hi Sapphire,

I think the most you could realistically do would be a small part of Chianti and San Gimigagno. The driving in Chianti is slow due to windy, narrow roads.

Maybe start VERY early (because it always takes longer to get places than you think - especially SG because everybody gets a little lost in Poggibonsi!) and arrive in SG by 8am. Enjoy the morning and leave when the tour buses start to disgorge.

Head to Chianti and have a long lovely lunch, perhaps at a winery that also has an excellent restaurant, like La Badia di Coltibuono (many others too).

I put Chianti last because wine tasting early in the morning and then trying to cope with afternoon crowds in SG doesn't sound very appealing to me.

Buon viaggio!
Mar 8th, 2007, 03:54 PM

So you don't end up traversing roads already driven, leave Florence by going south on S2 towards San Gimignano. It takes you past the US WW II cemetery, and through small towns and villages with some lovely views. It's an easy drive with not much traffic when we were there in August. After SG, back to S2 and continue south to Monteriggioni, a walled city on the hill. A little further south, just before Siena, you can pick up S222 to explore Chianti on the way back to Florence.
Mar 9th, 2007, 06:52 AM

I like Volterra and normally recommend it when people visit San Gim, but your schedule doesn't make an extra stop possible.
What time of year are you going? Not only does this affect the crowds (San Gim), but can affect the traffic (lots of slow buses going to San Gim) and the length of daylight.
I'd get to San Gim early (before the buses arrive ) and spend your afternoon heading back through Chianti.
You might plan a dinner Al Fresco in the Chianti countryside.
Mar 9th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

All good suggestions - I think we will aim to arrive in San G. early and then make our way back north through Chianti. thanks!
Mar 9th, 2007, 10:37 AM

The link below shows a mini-map which I think is useful. To orient you, it is only about a 20 min drive (once you are out of Florence) to Greve, which is a very nice, but touristy place. We really enjoyed the tiny town of Panzano as well as Castellina and Radda, which you could do in one day...a long day, but you could do it. I cannot speak for San G., as we did not go there.

http://www.venere.com/hotel/?htid=88...&tripref=34989
Mar 9th, 2007, 10:42 AM

That WWII cemetary is really lovely. DH and I stopped there to look at all the memorial stuff.. very nice! If you are into WWII history, you would enjoy a short visit.