Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cool London activites? First timer and 3rd timer.

Mar 9th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Okay. I am taking my 30 (going on 18 year old) BF on his first visit to London. It will be my third trip....so without doing all the same stuff i've done I want him to enjoy.

I love museums, he does not. We have three days all mid-week, staying in Bayswater.

Monday start around 11:AM (coming from Paris on 9AM arrival train) Waterloo to Bayswater.

Day 1: Walk around Notting Hill and Hyde Park, Peek at outside of Kensington Palace.
Next: Either Hampstead or Tower of London/St. Pauls followed by some kind of Pub Walk and maybe peek at Piccadilly to see the lights at night.

Day 2: Do the Royal London stuff. Trafalgar Square, Downing St., Horse Guards Parade by 11:AM. Check out inside of Westminster Abbey, Maybe see some of the National Gallery. Try a British tea (not the Ritz, maybe something nice, but not TOO formal. What to do at night? Ripper Walk, Cool lounge/club??

Day 3: Should we go to Hampton Court or Windsor? I have not been to either.
Or we could take cruise down to Greenwich -- I've been there twice before. Is Little Venice interesting? Need to be back by 5PM. Departing at 9PM.

Mar 9th, 2007, 09:07 AM

I would opt for Hampton Court over Windsor myself. I'm not sure you'd have time to take the river trip to the Palace but there are very good train and/or bus services from central London out there. Alternatively, switch round Day 2 and 3 and take the river trip, do the palace and maze and whatever else you fancy and then bus back to central London and do the evening part of Day 2. After a long day, you'll be ready for a quiet evening. Here's the link to HCP

http://hrp.org.uk/hampton

Enjoy!
Mar 9th, 2007, 09:22 AM

What time of year are you going? Hampton has fabulous gardens but now they are kind of digging up/replanting. In the summer it is fantastic.

Windsor on the other hand is a current castle where the queen stays and dignitaries visit. So the inside is much different and very worthwhile. No gardens but the town is cute. Plenty of places to eat and shop for trinkets.

On a bad day and in the winter I prefer Windsor. On a beautiful summer day, Hampton is great. Why don't you leave it open and see how the weather is.

Also - you may want to make reservations at the ice bar in London on a small street off of Regent St. - I forget what the real name is but it is an Absolut vodka place where the inside is made entirely from ice. You book a slot and they put you in a warm overcoat with golves and you go down into the ice. Really cool. Perfect for an 18 year old 30something. Right next to it is Momo's - which is a funky turkish place totally worth going into for some drinks and a sheesha (even if you don't smoke). You can eat there, too and the food is good. Nothing I would have ever expected to order or eat as I am kind of picky, but the sharing platters are really good. You may want to make a reservation at the ice bar. I was just there on Sunday with no res. and they had plenty of availability but in the summers I think it is hard to get in.
Mar 9th, 2007, 09:28 AM

Hi, myst,

here's another few ideas-

Camden market, little venice, a walk around the temple, a meal in chinatown.

good luck!

regards, ann
Mar 9th, 2007, 09:44 AM

Little Venice is a neat area. If you're good walkers, you might like to walk through Regent's Park to Camden Locks and then along the tow path to Little Venice. Very nice on a nice day (we did it on gloomy one and it was still wonderful). You can see the back of some of the London Zoo exhibits along the tow path.
Mar 9th, 2007, 10:51 AM

What's a sheesha?