Salzburg Stay

Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salzburg Stay

I am going to be staying Salzburg for three days in September. I saw some info on the Hotel Via Roma and it looks like a good choice. Has anyone stayed there who could give me the heads up on the hotel, location, etc.

Also looking for must sees, etc. in the area. I will have a car so I can drive outside the city limits if you have suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:27 AM
Pinchme_iam_dreaming

We stayed at the Gasthaus kohl peter last year for 87.50 Euro per night including breakfast. It is a beautiful family run hotel and restaurant about a 5 minute walk to the tram then a ten minute ride to the cemter of Salzburg.

Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:36 AM

I highly suggest a visit to the Berchtesgaden region, about a 20 minute drive from Salzburg. Here you can take a boatride on the picture-perfect Konigssee, perhaps take the skilift up to the top of Mt. Jenner for wonderful views, visit the Eagle's Nest and have lunch in Berchtesgaden, a pretty little town. http://www.berchtesgaden.com/e/citie...sgaden/bgd.htm

Also a visit to the Salzkammergut is a must! The towns on the Wolfgangsee (St. Gilgen and St. Wolfgang) are beautiful and Hallstatt is a lovely little town.

The countryside surrounding Salzburg is gorgeous...you will certainly have a wonderful time!

Tracy
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Very helpful suggestions. I really appreciate it. Should I wait until I get to Europe to buy maps? Are they any better, cheaper, etc.

I can't wait and love getting ideas from everyone.

Thanks so much!
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:11 AM

We usually pick up a map or atlas before we leave. Your local bookstore (Borders, Barnes & Noble, etc) should have various maps. The michelin ones usually work pretty well.

With that being said, we found that the free ones that are given with the car are often more than adequate and easier to hold. We usually use a combination of the two.

Tracy
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:14 AM

By the way, when you are in Salzburg be sure to have dinner at Stiftskeller St. Peter one night! The food is really good, a nice atmosphere, and there are mozart concerts that are held. We did not get to hear a concert but still had a great time.

Tracy
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:34 AM

I second dinner at Stiftskeller St. Peter. The restaurant has been there since about 800ad and they have figured out how to make good food in that time. It is always a highlight of our trip to Salzburg. Salzburg is a pretty small town so any guidebook should point you to the sights.

I also agree that the Berchtesgaden region and the Saltzkammergut are worth the drive. Enjoy your trip.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:53 PM
ira

Hi K,

You might find the Salzburg part of my trip report helpful:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=35014078