Salzburg on my mind..

Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salzburg on my mind..

Thanks to Suze I took a long look at Salzburg on a few websites and I decided that its a place that I need to see. So my question is: Does anyone have a B&B that they love in the city of Salzburg? (I figure I will be sick of hostels at this point of my trip and would like to have a name in my back pocket)
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 07:00 AM

Not officially a B&B but the Weisses Kreuz is a little family run hotel in the Altstadt, convenient to everything, that we like.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 07:25 AM

Actually, Salzburg has a very nice hostel with private rooms in a wonderful location on Linzer Gasse, just across the river from the 'old' part of town. The private rooms are like your old college dorm. They are clean, quiet and have their own bathroom. It is convenient to restaurantss including a grocery store just up the street. It doesn't have cooking facilities.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 08:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
hey it wasn't me!!! i never said a word about Salzburg -LOL

but have been watching you plan this trip with interest. best of luck.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Suze, I must have lost my mind, i know someone told me about this city. Anyway its look very cool and its on my need to see list especially right before christmas.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 09:44 AM

Good for all of you visiting
the first place I visited on a HS choir exchange. Salzburg started all the wanderlust...and here we are 30 years later.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 12:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I read now read the Conde Nast Traveler magazine Reader's Choice 2005 Awards lists... Salzburg was the number 8 city. It's a reader poll using the criteria of: ambience, culture/sites, friendliness, lodging, restaurants, shopping.

Lost, Actually I mentioned Montreux for Christmas but it's a little out of your way for this trip!
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 01:46 PM

There are quite a few sights in Salzburg worth the effort, but in many respects I think Salzburg is over-rated.

My favorite attractions are as follows, not necessarily in order of how well I liked them nor do I pretend that the list is all inclusive.

The fortress up on the hill, which is the essence of Salzburg.

The Old Town ands its shops and restaurants.

The churches, just wander in a few of them to see some nice Baroque interiors.

The Festspielhaus where the Salzburg Music Festival is held. (Take a tour if offered. The one I took started in English and German, but finished in English.)

The Marionetten Theater

Mirabell Gardens

Schloss Hellbrunn and the trick fountains that spray water.

And of course things Mozart. I paid my respects to his achievements at his statue in the square.

Some people like the salt mine tours.
And a few have voiced their liking of the Sound of Music tour. I thought it was an egregious ripoff of the worst degree.

We stayed at the Hotel Zur Goldenen Ente (Golden Duck). The building is ancient and it is in the old town, oddly enough on Goldgasse. When we were there it had a fabulous breakfast. Since I was last there two events have transpired: Rick Steves recommended it (I hear tell) and the manager (Robert Dürnle) moved to another job. The Steves influence is usually an increase in prices.

Dürnle, the manager and food planner, was top of the ladder good so his loss is bad for the Golden Duck customers. He and his team won a silver medal in an international chef contest. I would indeed like to eat the food prepared by the guy who won the gold medal!! (If I could afford it!)

Outside of the Old Town, Salzburg is a modern middle sized Austrian town full of traffic just like most middle sized American cities.