Salzburg/Munich itinerary advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am leaving Thursday. Am I missing anything or have I included anything that's not worth seeing? Thanks!!<BR><BR>Friday - Munich Arrive 10:10A- Platzl Hotel <BR><BR>Food/Drink: Boettner’s, Pfisterstrasse 9 (089/22-12-10, M-Sat 11:30-2:30 &amp; 6-9:30)<BR>Geisel’s Vinothek (Italian), in Hotel Excelsior, Schutzen Strasse 11 – best wine<BR><BR>- Munich City Tour – Panorama Tour 6, City Tour, “Munich at it’s Best”, incl. Nymphenburg Palace &amp; Olympic grounds 10:30 daily, 3 hours<BR>- Viktualienmarkt - best time to go is Saturday morning<BR>- Hofbrauhaus <BR>- Englische Garden<BR>- Marienplatz – check out the street performers<BR>- Maximilianstrasse – one of Europe’s greatest shopping streets<BR>- Odeonsplattz – most beautiful square (check out the nearby Caf&eacute; Tambosi, the oldest caf&eacute<BR><BR>Other Options: <BR>- Deutsches Museum, science &amp; technology, located on an island in the Isar River, Museuminsel 1<BR>- Gallery of Modern Art<BR>- ZAM (a group of off the beaten track museums), Westenrieder 41<BR>- Cuvillies Theater: a night at the Opera<BR>see Monatsprogramm (program guide) at tourist office, platform 12<BR>- From Munich you can easily reach Garmisch-Partenkirchen (1.5 hours from Munich by train) where you can take the cable car to the top of the Zugspitz (Germany's highest mountain)<BR>- Marionette Theatre???<BR><BR>Saturday<BR>- Neuschwanstein Castle &amp; Hohenschwangau Castle Tour, Panorama<BR><BR>Sunday<BR>- Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Tour, 12:00 daily (5 hours), Radius Tours<BR><BR>- Travel to Salzburg - Goldener Hirsch<BR>Other<BR>Food: Salzburger Nockerln (rasb. omlet); Knoblauchsuppe (cream soup w/ garlic); Spinatnockeri (spinach w/ cheese); gluehwien (hot spiced wine), Sachertorte (choc. Cake w/ apricot jam), Linzertorte, Strudel<BR>Best Map: Falk (yellow &amp; blue cover) <BR>Salzburg Card (includes train), buy at hotel<BR><BR>Monday <BR>- Sound of Music Tour (free hotel pick up) - Panorama, 874029, 9:30 &amp; 2:00<BR>- Panorama Tour 1 - Salzburg City Sightseeing Tour including the reopened Mozart residence <BR>- MARIONETTENTHEATER – may be closed in February.<BR><BR>Tuesday <BR>- Panorama,Tour 3A - Excursion through the Bavarian Alps with a visit to the Saltmines Departure daily: 9.00 am, 2.00 pm, Duration: 4 hours (includes view of Eagle’s Nest) <BR><BR>Wednesday 2/26<BR>- Grobglocknerstr – Highway bus ride (may be closed in winter)<BR>- Mirabellgarten (flower beds) – included in Sound of Music Tour<BR>- Shop Getreidegasse (main shopping street)<BR>- Mozarts Geburtshaus (Mozarts Birthplace); Getreidegasse no. 9 (near Tresniewski, best pastries &amp; open sandwiches)<BR>- The Festung or Hohensalzburg Fortress, the chief landmark of Mozart's city, is the largest, fully-preserved fortress in central Europe, M&ouml;nchsberg 34<BR>- St Peter’s Church <BR>- Munich Residenz Tour <BR><BR>- Travel to Munich - Kempinski Hotel Airport Munich <BR><BR>Thursday: Munich to Wash/Dulles - Depart 11:30A
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 10:16 AM

I noticed that you didn't schedule any rest room stops in your itinerary.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 11:55 AM

Dutch,<BR><BR>I'm still laughing........! <BR><BR>adnil1962, I think if you would cut everything in half, you would be getting close. Otherwise, you are going to look like Wylie Coyote after he has chased Road Runner for 100 miles.<BR><BR>For example, you arrive on a Friday at 10:10. You are then planning a 3 hour tour of Munich that starts at 10:30. Good luck. <BR><BR> Way too much in too short of a time. Take time to relax and walk around. I could spend 3 hours in the Viktualien Mkt easily.<BR><BR>Curious
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 12:31 PM

Go to it. Next time you will be wiser.<BR>Sounds to me like you cut and pasted in some tour itinerary that leaves you no time to think or to contemplate.<BR>If that is the case, double groan.<BR><BR>I have suggestions.<BR>1. Salzburg <BR><BR>Junk the Sound of Money tour in Salzburg. In my opinion it is an egregious rip off. I never felt so cheated in my life. You see very little. That love scene gazbo is little more than rotting piece of junk parked on a vacant lot. The only other place you go inside of, maybe, is the Church in Mondsee where the wedding was filmed, but not where it actually happened. <BR><BR>The rest of the trip is little more than a bus ride to Mondsee with a stop in St. Gilgen that has absolutely nothing to do with the Sound of Music.<BR>I figured the tour company gets a kick back from the merchants association for stopping there and shooing the customers into the gift shops twice a day.<BR><BR>Tawdry at best. Crooked at worst.<BR>Mercenary whatever you call it.<BR><BR>Don't go to the Marionetten Theater unless you like opera. That is the type of music on which the performance is based. <BR><BR>And you have left out the best place in Salzburg to visit. My opinion of course, but still it is quite popular.<BR><BR>2. Munich <BR><BR>You have left out the 4 best places. In case you want to know what they are, ask. I assume you have some interest in art. If art bores you, then no need to worry, and you have reduced the list of best places from 4 to 2.<BR><BR>And Cafe Tambosi? There are many better places. I went once, will not go back unless strongly urged by my daughter. Odeon's Platz the most beautiful? Groan! Some brochure writer's idea of how to sell a tour. And the Rathaus clock is worth 20 minutes at most.<BR>You can watch the little figures go around way up in the air, and wait for the knight with his lance to knock off some guy's head. That much is amusing.<BR><BR>Other than that, you will at least have a list to check off as you go. Let's see, 11 AM check off place X. What up at 11:15??<BR>
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I realize I can't do it all. I usually make a list of all the things I'd like to see, then when I get to my destination I make my final choices, switch days, add alternates based on people I meet in my travels, etc. <BR><BR>What are the 4 destinations in Munich &amp; the best of Salzburg that I have missed??
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 12:06 AM

I have just travelled to eight European countries in three months and you have given me the opportunity to say this at last. I went to Salzburg for one day, a saturday and thought it the most over touristy city of all and the Sound of Music is done to death. The old town was nice but so overpriced and what annoyed me was the cost of using the loo, you had to pay everywhere.<BR>As for Munich,it was not on my itinerary to start but I ended up there for four days nearing the end of my trip and found the Munchens to be the rudest people I have ever met in my entire life. I was so gobsmacked so many times I was speechless and only thought of a clever answer when it was too late. The Frankfurters on the other hand were much nicer and far more pleasant.<BR>If you are set on going have a nice time but your itinerary is very unrealistic.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 04:04 AM

What is &quot;gobsmacked?&quot;
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 04:14 AM

Salzburg:<BR>Go to a dinner-concert at Stiftskeller hall (book thru hotel or direct), or failing that up at the Festung. It's slightly naff (US: cliched) - there will definitely be at least one movement of Eine Kleine N - but not nearly as naff as many of the other tours you mention, and quite high quality musicianship.