Salzburg in September

Search

Salzburg in September

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salzburg in September

My husband and I are going to Salzburg in early September.Is it nescessary to book lodging at that time of the year.
Any recommendations for websites for budget hotel or studio apartment in Salzburg centre itself?
Advice much appreciated.Thank you.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 12:13 PM
rex

Yes, it is well advised.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 01:01 PM

What is your budget & how long will you be staying?
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Do you think it will be possible to get budget hotels or studio apartments around 60+Euro in Salzburg city centre as we do not have a car?
Any useful websites?
Thank you
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention that we have 4nights at our disposal as we have to get back to Vienna the 5th night to catch an afternoon flight the following day.Can't decide the best way to utilise these 5days.Any suggestions?
Thanks again.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 12:44 PM

This may be a little more than you budgeted but we enjoyed the Weisses Kreuz just around the corner from the catherdral in the Salzburg Altstadt.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 02:37 PM

In a word, NO. The Weisses Kreuz runs more than $100 a night. I saw a price of 98€ for a double room in high season. At the present rate of exchange, that comes out to about $120 per night.

That price includes breakfast.

The Sallerhof is a pension type rather far out, but close to a bus route. It runs 80€ per night for two.

When I stayed at the Sallerhof, the breakfast was a feast. Very extensive and very good.

I don't think any where else in the world has better breakfasts than the hotels in the Salzburg - Munich area.

I know the Astoria in Munich has a feast for breakfast. So did both of the hotels I used in Vienna.

By contrast, most English breakfasts are not so good.

Old Jul 18th, 2005, 03:01 PM

http://www2.salzburg.info/hotels.html
The above website will give you much more information. There are bed and breakfasts in private homes that rent for less than the hotels.
Most are out from town a ways.
But bus service is good as a general rule.

I suggest you browse this website. I think you will be able to find something that meets your requirements.

But look for bed and breakfasts first otherwise even 2-star hotels will not meet your price as stated.

Some of the 1-star places look grim.
The facilities are down the hall.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies - they have been a help.Sounds like Salzburg is even more expensive than Vienna.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 07:58 AM

You must remember that for some reason Salzburg is overrun with American tourists in the summer and the demand exceeds the supply. For some reason Salzburg has taken on a aura of grandeur that permeates tourist thinking.

I agree that it is a pleasent city and deserves a visit. But the people who flock there often feel like they will die of deprivation if they don't take a Sound of Money tour, look at Mozart's statue and buy Mozart Kugeln.

Once when I was there some guy was raving about this was Mozart's birthplace. Probably the greatest shrine in the history music. He listened to Mozart every day. Then some kids, probably from the music school, set up shop in the shade just off Mozartplatz and started performing. They opened with the Overture to La Gazza Ladra. Our Mozart buff was enraptured with Mozart's music. "Can't beat the Mozart played in Salzburg!" Perhaps not, but first it needs to be Mozart!

Then when the trio started on the Overture to Le Nozze de Figaro, he wanted to know what that was. So much for self appointed Mozart buffs.

And I learned that Eine Kleine Nachtmusik can withstand any kind of skillfull performance and still sound right. Not quite sure how the mandolin player got it done, but his fingers were flying.

I must admit that for three guys with an accordian, a mandolin, and a bass balalaika they were doing a hell of a job making everything sound right. Surely that kind of talent deserves a few euro in the hat.

They must have written their own arrangements because Mozart is not noted as a composer for those instruments!!
Neither was Rossini.