Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Salzburg: Blaue Gans, Stieglbrau or Goldenen Ente

Notices

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 02:29 PM
RG

It seems like these three hotels in Salzburg are on the top of the list. Is any of them better if we are driving and have a 2-year old with us?
RG

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Rex

I only know Goldenen Ente. You can get your car within about 75 yards of the front door of there (easier to say than to do because you can't actually see it from the entrance to Goldgasse). Parking is arranged in a public garage "in the mountain" - - close to a mile of labyrinthine driving to get there, but only about 400 yards walk from there back to the hotel.

Nor unusually accommodating to a family with a toddler - - but not unusually NOT-accommodating either.

Bacon and eggs for breakfast, if that makes any difference to you - - with the unusual feature that you cook it yourself.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 04:50 PM
topper

topping, for RG

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 05:45 AM
RG

To the top. Also, please comment on the Weisse Taube.
Thanks.
RG

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:27 AM
RG

ttt

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 11:00 AM
RG

Just got back from Salzburg. We loved the Blaue Gans hotel. The room was small but the hotel is in a great location. Breakfast was very nice. Highly recommended hotel.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 12:22 PM
John

We have stayed twice at the Blaue Gans and love it. The Karajan sized rooms are large--have a double bed and a small couch, with room for a crib if needed. The cost was about $130/nite in May. We would have stayed here had the Karajan rooms not been booked. The small doubles (Jederman rooms, I believe) are very tiny and would not easily accommodate two adults and a child.

You can't beat the location on Getreidegasse, the Blaue Gans has been nicely renovated and the restaurant, breakfast buffet and wine bar are all superb. Staff is not unfriendly, but is not going to gush over you, either. The only small downside was the early morning delivery/trash pick up truck noise from the street below.

One lower cost but clean/nice alternative is the Am Dom--near Mozart Platz. Ask for the large, two-bedroom room on one of the upper floors-I think we stayed in room 22 (or was it 11--I forget). Herr Bachleitner is very friendly and treats people very warmly. Their breakfast is much more modest than at the Blaue Gans, but the location is also good and the price is very low for Salzburg--around $94/nite when we stayed in May of 2002. I'd go back again. My spouse liked it as well, but preferred the Blaue Gans.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Diane Moll

We have stayed at the Goldenen Ente three times over the past few years and loved it, not just for the convenience of being in the city centre but their restaurant is wonderful - best Salzburg Nockerl in town. Only place I have stayed in Europe where you can cook eggs to your liking on a griddle for breakfast. It's great. In fact, last year we arrived late after a long day of travel and were delighted to have their special - homemade ravioli and it was absolutely the spectacular.