Salzburg/Bavaria versus Berlin Dresden

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2017, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be basing out of Prague from Oct20-November 5th with a need to be in Prague from October 27-Oct 30 when we will explore Prague. We have two windows for travel. Oct 20-October 27 and Oct31-November 5th (with a flight out of Prague on November 6.) My questions, considering weather at this time of the year, I am looking for recommendations on where to go during our windows preferably by train, car or bus. We are leaning towards Budapest Oct31- November 5th. option 1- Berlin/Dresden option 2 - Salzburg/Southern Bavaria option 3- Vienna/Salzburg option 4 Budapest ? Welcome any suggestions Thanks
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 02:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Been to all of them and more than once. IMO all depends on <B>what sort of experience</B> you are looking for which would be helpful to know IMO.

6 nights in Budapest? I just don't think it (ALONE) is worth that much time but that's me.

What DO you want to do??????
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 02:53 AM

And don't sweat "the weather" on this at that time of year.
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

May tie in Vienna with Budapest and considering side trip to Eger? would welcome suggestions on that.

Our daughter is studying in Prague so we will have a 3-4 day window to experience that city which I have been told should be enough time.

Would love to experience the country side and Salzburg as well but have heard weather may not be great for light hiking etc....

I realize that the cities of Prague, Vienna and Budapest are all different but wondering if we should incorporate countryside instead of another city (Berlin)
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 03:56 AM

I would agree that you can combine Vienna with Budapest. I am not certain what your definition of a "light hike" is but again, unless it RAINS I would not sweat the weather. You know it won't be hot and, in fact, it may be really glorious. Best wishes in your decision-making.
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 04:30 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I suggest that you plot your options on a timeline to include transportation times and hotel logistics.

Berlin, Dresden, Prague, Salzburg, Bavaria, Vienna, and Budapest all have various offers. Ask yourself what appeals to you most: art? architecture? history? food? the "top ten" of any guidebook or travel blog? and factor that into your plans.

You may find that a combination of your proposed itineraries fits a particular block of time better than others.

All of this said, late October/early November weather is terribly unpredictable in Central Europe. Be prepared in any event.

26 October is the Austrian National Day, complete with closures. 28 October is Czech Republic National Day; there may be closures. 1 November is a holiday in Austria, Hungary, and Germany. Stores and many restaurants will be closed, though most museums will be open. In general, Austrian stores and many restaurants are also closed on Sundays.

Hiking is the unofficial Austrian national pastime. "Light" hiking is what the Austrians refer to as "walking;" here in Vienna there may or may not be color left in the vineyards to enjoy while wandering as the harvest festivals all take place in September. Still, there are numerous trails that, on a pretty day, will offer fresh alpine air and spectacular views of the city.

I hope you find this helpful.
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 07:36 AM

31 October is also a holiay in Germany. 1 Nov is a holiday in catholic German states (Bavaria), but not in ev.-Lutheran Saxony and not in Berlin.
Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

ok --is this cramming too much in??
Arrive in Prague noon Oct 20 and take train to Cesky Krumlov- spend all say on 21 exploring there and either spend night there or leave early evening on the 21 on shuttle for Salzburg.
Salzburg from the October 22-24.(Is this too long?)
Take train to Berlin on 25 (wednesday) Spend evening of Oct 25-Oct 27 in Berlin.
Train from Berln to Prague evening of October 27 or am on the 28th
Prague from October 28-31 (with possible day trip)
Oct ober 31 -travel to Vienna /Budapest (advice on how long at both if traveling by train)
Sunday November 5th Travel back to Prague by train
thanks
Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 09:22 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
"ok --is this cramming too much in??" I would not do this itinerary.

20 Oct. Travel Day Buses from Prague to CK take about 3 hours.
21 Oct. CK to Salzburg in the late afternoon (3 hours)
22, 23 Oct. Salzburg (I would cut one of the days; you'll need it for travel.)
24 Oct. Travel Day. Train to Berlin is about 8 hours.
25, 26, 27 Oct. Berlin
28 Oct. Travel Day. Train to Prague is about 5 hours.
29, 30, Oct. Prague (I would skip the day trip)
31 Oct. Train to Vienna is about 3 hours. Vienna sightseeing.
1, 2 Nov. Vienna. Evening train to Budapest is about 3 hours.
3, 4 Nov. Budapest.
5 Nov. Travel Day. Bus/Train to Budapest is 7-8 hours.

You have 16 days planned; 4 full days are travel, with 3 half-travel days. Effectively more than 25% of your holiday will be devoted to transportation, and a few other hours given away to hotel logistics while you criss-cross Central Europe.

Presumably you'll want to see the major attractions; your time allotted for Vienna, Budapest, and Prague is barely enough to accomplish that, even at a breakneck pace (I have convinced family and friends of this folly when they visit us in Vienna); and when all is said and done you might not be able to recall whether Stephansdom was near the Golden Lane or across the tram tracks from the Central Market Hall.