Salthill B&B

Feb 4th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Sharon

Salthill B&B

Flying into Shannon and thought we would stay in Salthill the first night. Does anyone know of a good B&B?

Feb 4th, 2001, 01:41 PM
Sharon

There are lots of B&Bs in the Salthill area; we just stopped at one a short distance from the center & got a room. On our way west the next morning we were surprised to see B&Bs literally lining the road west. But while in Salthill that evening, a local seafood restaurant was recommended by some locals in a pub..Tysons Seafood Restaurant, which also is part of a small (11 rooms) hotel - Rockbarton Park Hotel. Its off the main road along the ocean in a residental area back behind the large Salthill Hotel..I believe the street it is on is also named Rockbarton Park, we would never have found it on our own. The restaurant is cozy with a small pub/bar separate from the main dining area. Delicious seafood selections plus fresh trout from the local lakes..it was our first night on our own after being with relatives north of Dublin & we were amazed at our good luck in finding this little restaurant! The owners were friendly & helpful even tho we weren't staying in their hotel. The clientele staying at the hotel seemed to be more European, not American.

Later on our way south just outside Galway before heading into the Burren, we stayed at a B&B in a small town, I think Clarinbridge..Clareville B&B, off the N18, again just stopped & got a room, very friendly & helpful proprietress..the area has a number of B&BS, plus pubs/restaurants famous for oysters, this is real oyster country. There are a number of places in this area suggested in the Lonely Planet guide - we found we couldn't go wrong with their information & suggestions.

Feb 5th, 2001, 10:34 AM
Linda

We stayed in Salthill last July. We were in upper Salthill and stayed at the Drumlin View, the Mandalay Bay, Cashelmara Lodge also looked nice. Ocean Villa, Marless House and St.Judes looked nice, too. We used the bus to go into Galway. Had a nice time at the Quays Pub and a good dinner at McSwiggans. Also, in Barna Donnelly's was good.

Feb 6th, 2001, 05:13 PM
Mark

Marless House, Lower Salt Hill, can't be beat. Great rooms, walk to the ocean, short stroll for a variety of dining. We were there last July and booked rooms easily on the internet. Can't wait to return. Address is:
http://homepage.tinet.ie/~marless

Feb 26th, 2001, 05:45 AM
marylouise

Hi
My family of four also had great results with Marless House. We paid 55 Irish pounds in June 2000 for a family room which was lovely. Breakfast was great. The family very nice but I can't recall the name. I'd stay there again.
Have a wonderful time!
By the way...I kept records and happen to have the info:
e-mail:[email protected]
phone:353 91-523931

They had a website ,too, with pictures but I can't locate that at the moment. Sorry!

Mar 8th, 2001, 09:21 AM
Lisa B

Here's another vote for Marless House. We loved this B&B so much, that when we got back to L.A. and adopted a kitty, we named her Marless!! The hostess, Mary, is so charming and warm, when I told her how much I loved her tea set, she insisted on sending it home with me!! Lovely area too!!