Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Kensington hotels -- looking for not too expensive

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 01:36 PM
Laura Poppe

2 day visit; want hotel in Kensington area that is a nice value -- decent lodging, decent price. We'll basically just be hanging our hats there while we sightsee! Any suggestions?

Old Jan 17th, 2001, 04:40 AM
Wes

I am afraid that you will find that "decent price" in London will still be somewaht expensive. One hotel that I have used in this area is the Willet on Sloan Square, a very nice hotel, but will probably cost you at least 100 Pounds a night. Very quiet area, Underground stop on square, good access to rest of city. They have web page.

Old Jan 17th, 2001, 08:09 AM
ginny

The Rembrandt Hotel is in Knightbridge near South Kennsington tube. Great place and convenient to everything. There web is www.rembrandthotel.co.uk.

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 04:34 PM
april

Hi, Laura! <BR>I'm going to London in a few weeks and also wanted to stay in the Kensington area. The hotel we'll be at is the Forte Posthouse Kensington. According to my research, it is a fairly large hotel with amenities such as a fitness room and pool. The regular rooms are a little on the small side, but the area is safe and the Kensington High Street tube station is just up the block. The nightly rates run about $119-149 a night.

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 02:18 AM
Cathy

Laura, <BR>Check out Jurys Kensington - think their site is www.jurys.ie or something like that. I stayed there in the pat year, rooms smal but lovely hotel and great location, <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 02:24 PM
judy

We are staying at Posthouse Kensington in May, please let me know how it was and was it convenient? Thanks.

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 03:13 PM
Melaney

Have been staying in Kensington area for years. My requirements are clean, bathroom included (en suite), close to Gloucester Road tube stop, full English breakfast included & under 100lbs (about $140) per room per night. I like the Montana, Grange Adelphi and Abcone (ask for the room on the ground floor--it's unusually huge!). I always book thru hotel-assist.com because they offer great specials. I'd be interested to know how the others are getting into Jury's or Thistles so cheaply--I've always found them really high and the Rembrandt is over $200 night. Please let me know how you're doing it! Laura you're smart to choose Kensington as your base. Have a great trip!

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 03:31 PM
ger

As Wes says, cheap in Kensington is not easy!!! I have never managed to find a room for less than 100 gbp and prices have gone up substantially in the past 18 months. <BR> <BR>I stayed at the Rembrant and it was very nice and convenient - think I paid about 120 pounds a night about two years ago. I also found two small boutique hotels metioned in this website (Gainsborough & Gallery). Three years ago they were less than 100 GBP per night but they may have moved up market. <BR> <BR>http://www.milford.co.uk/england/ezlon-c.html <BR> <BR>Check out this b&B site - if I had the time to plan, I would probably opt for a B&B over an hotel (and you are more likely to get a room for less than 100 gbp): <BR> <BR>http://www.londonbandb.com/ <BR> <BR>I have not stayed at the Posthouse Kensington, and I am not a great fan of the Forte Posthouses in general, but they are consistent, for the area the prices are reasonable and most people have enjoyed their stay. It is certainly very well located. <BR> <BR>Other places friends have recommended, never managed to get a reservation, are the Swiss House and 158(?) Sumner Place. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 06:00 PM
richardab

The Posthouse is a great choice. It used to be called the Kensington Close Hotel. They offer a lot of good value rates too. Be sure to ask when you call the 800 number. They are aprt of the FORTE group of hotels @ http://www.forte-hotels.com/ <BR> <BR>The hotle is also near the Kensington Close tube stop. Kensington is a cool are of yuppy kids and families. There are lots of great shops and restaurants in this area. <BR> <BR>Enjoy!

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 09:06 PM
Jodi

My husband and I visited London 3 years ago and stayed about 4 blocks from Kensington Palace and right across the street from Hyde Park. The name of the hotel was The Plaza on Hyde Park and it was a lovely hotel. I would suggest this would be a great place for you to stay and it has very close access to the tube.

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 05:17 PM
sandra

we are going to london in april anda re going to be staying in the kensington hilton www.hilton.com and the rate is 69gbp a night per room . great rate for a hilton.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 03:13 PM
Desiree'

to the top for Kate

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 09:37 AM
liz

I just returned from 5 days in London and I have some information on the Brompton Hotel in South Kensington. It is in a very nice area ,close to tube, bus stop in front, late night grocery just down the street. I cannot,however, advise anyone to stay there. <BR>We payed 70 pounds for a deluxe room with breakfast. The room was very tiny but it did have a nice bathroom and a fridge. Breakfast was brought to your room(toast,boiled egg,coffee or tea). <BR>The major problem was they turned off the heat during the day and at night. There was also no hot water available until after the heat came on at 6:30. <BR>One afternoon we returned to our room and it was absolutely frigid. Housekeeping had opened the windows and the heat was off. When we asked at the desk they admitted that the heat was off. They then turned it back on. <BR>On the morning of our departure, we could not shower and the room was freezing. Reception knew that we were leaving early because we asked for an early breakfast. Perhaps we should have asked for early heat. <BR>I have stayed in many B&B's through out Europe and Great Britain and never has neat and hot water been rationed. <BR>It was a shame because the building was recently renovated and looked quite nice. <BR>Anyone staying there should be aware of this heating scheme.