Salsburg Accomodations

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salsburg Accomodations

Sooo many people seem to go to Salsburg but no one mentions hotels in their reviews. Is there a moderately priced hotel which includes parking?
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 03:57 PM

I stayed at the Best Western, which was a ten minute walk from the old town. Very pleasant staff and a very large room. I payed 65 Euro's a night during Christmas season
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 03:58 AM
JN

Hotel Bergland, which is across the river from the Altstadt, gets good reviews here and offers free parking. WEbsite: http://www.berglandhotel.at/
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 05:19 AM

We love the Hot. Wolf-Dietrich and the adjacent organic restaurant.
Comp. parking is just around the block.
M
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:00 AM

We stayed in Bloberger Hof in 2005 - http://www.blobergerhof.at/zimmer-e.htm

We didn't have a car but they have a parking lot. We took the bus into city center. We stayed in their apartment, so we had plenty of room (rooms actually) with a balcony.

We enjoyed our stay there. The daily 3-course menu which was different each day were all very tasty, good presentation and very reasonable (11.50 - 15 euros).
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:45 AM

In Salzburg we have stayed at the Goldenen Ente in the altstadt and the Weisses Kreuz near the cathedral in the altstadt.

Both provided parking. WK was near the hotel, GE was in the cave a 6-10 minute walk from the hotel. Both are 3* hotels that provide breakfast and clean accomodations.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, I will check all of these hotels out. The Altstadthotel Wold Dietrich sounded really good but it's 12 euros a day to park, that just seems like a lot to me.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

I've looked at all the hotels, I'm guessing the Weisses Kreuz doesn't have a web site since I can't find one, it does look interesting though. The Goldenen Ente seems nice and reasonable enough but it takes pets and that scares me. The Bloberger Hof has great prices but looks too far to walk to town so right now for location and pricing I'm looking at Bergland Hotel, has anyone else stayed there besides JN?
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:21 PM

We (a family of four) stayed at the Hotel Bergland last summer. I highly recommend this facility. The host (Peter Kuhn) is very friendly and informative, and the breakfast buffet is excellent. You will have to walk about 15 minutes to get to the old downtown area if you don't want to drive there (I would not recommend driving). Most of the sights in Salzburg are within reasonable walking distance. You'll need to drive to see Hellbrunn Castle though (or take the fine city bus system).
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 03:33 PM
JN

Here is the website for the Weisses Kreuz: http://members.eunet.at/weisses.kreuz/index_e.htm
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 03:39 PM
JN

TriAdvisor has lots of reviews on Salzburg hotels. Here are some on the Bergland:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...rian_Alps.html
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 05:22 PM

Last year we enjoyed the Zum Hirschen Best Western in Salzburg. Great private,secure parking in the back. One block from a bus that takes you to the old town in about 10 min. Across the street from a small 3 story shopping mall. Breakfast is fabulous, family owned and the huge full breakfast is mostly organic (very much the norm around Salzburg). You can get good rates for seniors(over 50 I think), or AAA, or weekend possibly.
There are several Best Westerns in Salzburg, but I don't think they have parking like this one.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

If you had to choose would you choose Bergland Hotel or Weisse Kreuz, they both have good rates and parking.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:01 PM
JN

I've heard lots of good things about Bergland (but have not stayed there), fewer comments on Weisses Kreuz (but am considering it for next time), but the WK location is to my liking, so I'd probably pick that.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Why is Weisses Kreuz a better location, is it a lot closer to the old center. It says Hotel Bergland is only a 15 minute walk. Upon more investigating Weisses Kreuz only has 4 rooms. It's very difficult to judge without having been there, for the price and location though I'm pretty sure it will be Hotel Bergland. The Best Western looks really nice but for a double room the price is quite a bit more. If it was only for 1 night fine but we'd like at least 4 nights. Anyways, any other recommendations with parking, good price and location are appreciated.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 10:15 AM
JN

WK is IN the Altstadt and almost all the sights you'd want to see there. I've walked from the Altstadt to a laundromat near the Bergland and 15 minutes might be the fastest you could do it. You are closer to the Mirabel gardens at Bergland, but that is it.

Here are reviews of the WK from Bavaria Ben's website:
Fadoinka) ...here's a place I highly recommend - Hotel-Restaurant Weisses Kreuz. I loved this place! Our room was a wonderful size and the bathroom was huge. Just your basic room, but extremly comfortable and well kept. The main attraction of the Weisses Kreuz is it's restaurant. They have an unbelievably large menu and the food is superb and extremely reasonable in price. The restaurant was recommended to us by a friend, as a place to meet during our last trip to Salzburg. It was certainly convenient that we were staying there as well. He told us the Weisses Kreuz is one of the most popular restaurants, with locals, because of the great food and reasonable prices. He said that sometimes it's hard to get a table there. It certainly did not disappoint us! The hotel is situated almost right under the fortress. All in all a great place in Salzburg.

(IM RW) ...We found the Hotel-Restraurant Weisses Kreuz to be charming, convenient and (from our limited experience) reasonably priced. We had a bright and airy corner room with views out two sides over the rooftops of Salzburg and overlooking the giant Chess board in the square below. The room was spotlessly clean, of ample size for the two of us and all of the "stuff" we were lugging around, and had a spotless bath/shower. The staff was warm and friendly.

If you still have concerns, I can recommend the nearby Am Dom, where we stayed in 2002. Their prices are a bit higher than WK, but lower than the Best Western (~100E/nt double with breakfast). I didn't have a car so don't recall whether they have parking or the charge. We had a two-bedroom room (#11 or #22--I forget which) and it was very spacious. The owner, Herr Bachleitner, is a very wonderful man, helpful in every way.

I hope this helps.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

My husband just said time is of the essence and that we should be in the center of everyhting, so it will be Weisse Kreuz or something around there if not there. He said he'd rather pay for parking than being away from everything. I'll take a look at the Am Dom, it's also recommended in Rick Steve's book. Thank you
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 07:29 PM

JN, I agree with what you said about the Weisses Kreuz. It is a small family run hotel at the base of the plateau where the castle is. It is just behind the Cathedral. They had a great breakfast when we were there.

Actually the altstadt in Salzburg is very small and very walkable so anything in that area will be close to the action for Altstadt sights.

Suze1, plan to take the Sound of Music tour while you are there. It is cheesey but fun. They take you out into the Zaltzkammergut to Mondsee (the town where the Wedding church from SOM is) and they stop along the way to let you ride a fun luge ride down a metal track. Rent the Sound of Music and watch it before you go to refamiliarize yourself with the locations.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 12:06 AM

We have been to Salzburg alot and always stay at the Etap hotel www.accorhotels.com (not fancy, but only 50 Euros a night, near the Flughafen (airport). Free parking is included and it is so easy to get to the altstadt. Also, check the Novotel level of that same chain. They have a Novotel in the old city - I satyed there too, but don't remember how much it was. There is plenty of parking underground downtown and satying out a bit also allows you to jump on the highway if you want to go to Berchesgarten. I would rather sleep cheap and spend my money elsewhere.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 11:37 AM

bookmarking

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information