Saint-Petersburg or Moscow?

Old Sep 18th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saint-Petersburg or Moscow?

G'day everyone!

I know, my question can look a little strange, but that's it. I'm from Italy, last year i visited Saint-Petersburg and it liked it sincerely. This autumn i want to continue my searchig for Russian attractions, so ithis is a question. What do you recommend: to visit Moscow (i heard it's not so friendly and charming as St. Petersburg) or to explore suburbs of Saint-Petersburg? Honestly, i choose between this two tours:
http://ansaguide.com/shore_exursions/programs/#three
and
http://ansaguide.com/tours/the_golde..._of_russia/47/
I will be greatfull for every reveiw. Thanks.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 07:53 AM

The suburbs of St Petersburg are not very nice, once you move away from the city centre it is not pretty. But I don't think you mean suburbs, since the tours you provided links to are excursions outside the city and they are definitely worth seeing.

It's best not to try and compare these two cities, they are very different and both have their charms. Moscow is a great capital city, the metro is fantastic, there are some very interesting sites and worth visting as a change from St Petersburg.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 09:12 AM

Just something to think about:

Would you never set foot in Manhattan just because it lacks it friendliness and charm? It is, like Moscow, still a MAJOR tourist destination...
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 02:08 PM

I loved Moscow. Very different architecture than St. Pete's and different from Western Europe.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 03:03 PM

While Petersburg was lovely, Moscow was a vibrant capital city. The four of us preferred it. It is very exciting to be on Red Square with the Kremlin in the background ! Go for it !!
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 06:33 PM
kja

As others are noting, they are very different. Moscow has a core that reflects Russian architecture and history; in contrast, St. Petersburg was built primarily in a European style (the major exception being the Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood). Both have some outstanding museums and cultural options and interesting places to see and things to experience. The good news is that you won't go wrong with either choice.
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 08:11 PM

I actually found the people in Moscow friendlier and more helpful than St. Petes. It think it is a great contrast to St. Petes