Search

Safety near Tottenham Court Road station

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 06:21 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety near Tottenham Court Road station

I keep hearing that all of central London is safe, but what about this area? I've read some things that are unsettling, so I would like to hear from our London experts. I am a woman traveling alone so safety is a priority.

I chose this are to be near the Elizabeth line. I also looked at Bond Street but that's a little more pricey. But I will spend the extra money if necessary for safety.

Thanks.
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 06:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
That area around Tottenham Court Road station is fine -- It is on Oxford street, its a 5 min walk to Seven Dials, maybe 7or 8 minutes walk to the British Museum, less than a 15 minute walk to Trafalgar Sq.
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 08:11 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Thanks Janis.
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 11:55 AM

I second that. I stayed right by Goodge St. station, and walked past Tottenham Court Rd. station several times. A very lively area, and as a solo woman, I felt safe. However, in September, further north, up by Goodge St. Station, where there seemed to be lots of university students, there was a food line and homeless/rough sleepers who would set up their tents/camp right beneath the windows of the Heal's furniture store after closing. (Unlike Chicago, where the homeless and beggars park their bedrolls and belongings there all day as no one tells them to move.) I just avoided walking past them on that block to avoid harrassment or unpleasantness, not with any real fear of personal harm.

Just the usual precautions for any city. Keep your head up, be aware of your surroundings, and keep valuables stowed in a cross body bag. I've never experienced any issues as a solo traveler in London in over a dozen trips. I'm in Chicago, and Janis is, I believe, around San Francisco, so somewhat accustomed to urban areas. It's really less about violent crime as it is pickpockets and other theft, opportunistic crimes against intoxicated people, etc. And as they say, nothing good happens after 2 a.m. And far, far less gun violence, so at least there's that. You shouldn't be nervous in that area at all. It's a good area.

Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 11:57 AM

Oh, and I Ioved the Elizabeth Line to Heathrow!
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 03:13 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Thanks ChgoGal. I appreciate all replies.
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 09:02 PM

There are quite a few posts about people worrying about safety in London, being scared off by things they see in social media and newspapers. Some UK politicians are having a go at the Mayor of London for this. But the reality is that crime in London has not increased. As crime figures go it is not the most dangerous city in the UK, and compared to US cities it is much safer. This article (free to read) puts it in perpective:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...urge-in-london
It's a big city, things can happen. Just be sensible with your valuables. There are homeless people, sadly too many. I have never encountered any problems, but the homeless people themselves are often victims of violence.
Tottenham Court Rd Station is very busy, lots of people around till late. I am a woman and go to the theatre on my own in the evening, often using Tottenham Court Rd station.
P_M could you please share the unsettling things you have read?
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 10:36 PM

It’s pretty safe, but there are signs in a lot of places like pubs and markets (and not just around Tottenham Court Road) that say “pickpockets operate in this area.” Still, you see people with their purses and bags splayed everywhere, phones left on tables while they go to fetch a second beer, etc.

Some people make it easy. Don’t leave your purse in the shopping cart at Waitrose. Use the same precautions you would in other travel situations.

But that area is SO busy.. stag and hen partiers, shoppers, theatre goers… There are other stops on the Elizabeth Line, where you won’t walk into a wall of people every time you go outside.

Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 11:05 PM

"I keep hearing that all of central London is safe," It is when compared with many large US cities. When we last visited LA and San Francisco we were genuinely shocked by the level of aggression we encountered on the streets and subways as well as the huge numbers of homeless people. That said, there are many issues in London which are not being addressed by the Met Police and which are a source of major concern to locals.

As far as the Tottenham Court Road area is concerned, if you have read "some unsettling things" are you sure these were not related to the district of TOTTENHAM which is considered very unsafe and a no go area by many. Tottenham Court Road itself is OK , just not an especially nice area. Yes it is convenient for the Elizabeth Line but, unless you are only in the city for a night or two and time is critical, I wouldn't base the decision to say there on that alone. There are many nicer, safer areas to stay which require only one change on the tube.

Another concern is that in recent years Oxford Street has become a focus for protests whether they be anti globalisation, Just Stop Oil or pro Palestinian /anti Israel etc.These tend to affect the Marble Arch end of Oxford Street but transport and the surrounding streets are often badly effected. (lost count of the number of times we have got on the bus to go to the west end only to find it stopping short of its destination!) . Tends to happened at weekends so forewarned is forearmed. JMO
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 11:17 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The OP is in London for one night between flights -- not staying several days. For her purposes either Bond Street or Tottenham Court Rd make the most sense.

(P_M -- re Crellston's comment- just in case there is any misunderstanding, 'Tottenham' is nowhere near 'Tottenham Court Rd station' -- they are 8 or 10 miles apart.)
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by janisj
The OP is in London for one night between flights -- not staying several days. For her purposes either Bond Street or Tottenham Court Rd make the most sense.

(P_M -- re Crellston's comment- just in case there is any misunderstanding, 'Tottenham' is nowhere near 'Tottenham Court Rd station' -- they are 8 or 10 miles apart.)
Which is why I added the caveat "unless you are only in the city for a night or two and time is critical,"
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 04:37 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj

This explains a lot. I read an article about the most dangerous places in London and Tottenham was mentioned. I'm glad to know it's a different area from the station. Whew!!

This is why I love Fodors.