safety in naples

Search

safety in naples

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
safety in naples

I will be alone in Naples for 24 hours (sunday until monday). I am a 22 y.o. female who speaks no italian. My friend, who speaks italian, is flying out on Sunday. My questions are: Where is a good, cheap place to stay (with a bathroom in the room)that I can easily get to the airport (possiby a shuttle from the hotel). Also how safe will I be as an american female going out and about on sunday day and evening alone. I have never traveled to europe before, but will have been in the Naples area for about 10 days prior to leaving. I also have not traveled alone before. Any suggestions, comments, advice is greatly appreciated...THANKS!
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 02:23 PM

Check out this post about Naples. I have only spent 5 minutes in Naples on my way to Positano and I felt a bit leary because of all the stories. It is definitely not a safe place from what I hear but I also hear it is full of character or maybe they meant characters.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...archText=scary
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 04:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Maybe in the 10 days prior, with the help of your Italian speaking friend, you can work out a place to stay that last day? You'll know how you feel about Naples by then, & if it seems too overwhelming for whatever reason just stick close to one area you know, or get yourself near the airport for ease the next day... and maybe plan have dinner in your room that last evening, if the other choices feel risky to you.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 07:48 AM
ira

Hi w,

We stayed at the Albergo Sansevero (they have a website) which can be easily reched by the metro from the Central Station.

Don't worry about safety in Naples. It is no worse than any large city.

See the Naples part of my trip report
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 07:54 AM

If you're nervous, why not take the train to Sorrento and stay there: trains run every half hour and take an hour, it's an elegant resort, and is full of British people who don't speak Italian.