Reload this Page >

safety in germany

Search

safety in germany

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2003, 06:09 PM
lohr

safety in germany

How safe is it for Americans to travel in Germany right now? Is it safe for high school students to travel as exchange students and stay with German families?

Old Mar 12th, 2003, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very safe pretty much anywhere if you are of Northern European ancestry. There are some parts of Germany where folks who aren't do sometimes encounter difficulties.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 06:53 PM

Man, how may of these questions do we need?<BR><BR>US
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 08:42 PM
jor

Yes, it is safe. Don't let negative people get you down.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 08:47 PM

Like Jor!<BR><BR>US
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 09:05 PM

They will have a wonderful time and will be greeted warmly. We were in Austria just 2 months ago and everyone was great. We talked at length with mant German tourists who also told us they had absolutely no bad feelings toward Americans. We also have a freind who is German and has just returned from there. He says the same thing, no problems. Don't let groundless fears keep your kids from having the best educational experience of their lives.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 01:57 PM

What a wonderful opportunity. Your teens will be safer in Germany than at your local mall!
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 05:03 PM

I returned from a month in Germany on Feb 17 and had no problems whatsoever. They clearly distinguish between Americans as individuals and the policies of the American Government. Germans do not hate Americans despite what you read in the papers. If you want to improve German-American relations, try learning some German. I heard more than once how Americans are not interested in learning German (or any other language), they expect everyone to learn English instead.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 05:21 PM

I haven't read anything in the papers stating that Germans hate Americans. What papers are you reading?<BR><BR>Right, every American should learn to speak every language of every country they might ever visit--especially a language like German that is useful in exactly one country on earth. A few important phrases, yes, but learn the languages? I don't think so. No one expects people in other countries to learn to speak English--but many people do so because, at this point in time, English is the most important international language, not because they are nobler or better than or superior to Brits, Canadians, Americans, Australians, New Zealanders, etc.<BR><BR>For the vast majority of English speakers, learning another language well enough to speak it with some confidence is a total waste of time, effort, and money. Only a small percentage, especially non-Brits, have anything approaching a good reason to ever use another language. And if they don't have a chance to actually use any language they attempt to learn, they will lose it very, very quickly. A few trips to Europe over a lifetime don't add up to a good reason.<BR><BR>Am I saying it's not a good thing to learn another language? No, it is an excellent thing to do. IF the learner has the opportunity to actually use the language frequently enough to retain it--which most English speakers do not.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:02 PM

I think all nationalities appreciate it if their visitors can speak a little of their language, it certainly doesn't have to be perfect and often is more fun if it's not as then the humour comes into it. I was amazed to find how many people in Athens, seemed to be the majority, who speak excellent english now although I met an american couple who told me they were there in 1975 and hardly met anyone who spoke english. How times have changed, I have a young friend in Athens who has been learning<BR>english at school since he was five.<BR>I needed to know german in Austria and Germany and don't know any, I found it quite frustrating and difficult on occasion.<BR>I studied french at school and have had little use for it here but am keen to revise what I already know and have gone back to night school this year where I am thoroughly enjoying it.<BR>The reason why so many are keen to learn english of course is that it is the internet language and as many said to me it has now become a necessity.<BR>