Safety in Cologne and Bonn for Solo Female

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2019, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in Cologne for three nights, Friday-Saturday-Sunday and will be traveling as a solo female. I've done a lot of travel by myself without trouble.
For anyone who has been in the last two years, what is the vibe? Is it very lively at night on the weekends? For example, I'd like to walk to and from the Marriott by the train station to places like the Harbor Christmas market near the Chocolate museum. And take the train to Bonn at night for the Christmas market that starts the weekend I'm there.

Thanks.
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never been to Bonn, and haven't been to Köln since 2014, but here are my 2 cents.

Large cities (in Germany or pretty much anywhere else) tend to be lively on Friday and Saturday nights, especially during Advent. Sundays tend to be more quiet.

Köln and Bonn are as safe as anywhere in Europe(that is usally safer than most places of similar size in the USA). Use your common sense and you shall be fine.

When you say night I guess you mean evening, right? I mean it probably won't make much sense to hang out after 10pm, life doesn't stop of course but it's a different vibe. It's not like Mediterranean countries where families chat on the streets and kids play football at midnight.

Be extra careful at and around railway stations.