Safest For Lady Alone?

Search

Safest For Lady Alone?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 01:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safest For Lady Alone?

Which country would be safest for a English speaking gal to travel alone in the fall? What about the Greek isles or Italy?
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 02:40 AM

I can't think of any country that wouldn't be safe, though I have not been to Eastern Europe (former Soviet republics, the Balkans)so I can't speak to those.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 03:23 AM

Not to be disrespectful but first you ask about "which country" and then you name two specific ones.\

Are you asking if it would be safe to visit Italy or Greece? And what English-speaking has to do with safety or lack thereof mystifies me.

I agree with Elaine and I have been to Greece...no less safe there than anywhere else...probably safer than hanging around Hotel Street after dark!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 03:33 AM
ira

Hi Mom,

All of Western and Central Europe would be equally safe.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 04:06 AM

I am 62 and have traveled in Europe. I would feel safe, with the same amount of precautions as at home, in any of these countries, Germany, Italy, France, Netherlands, Czech Republic and Poland. I have never been to Greece, but if it is like the rest of Europe it should be fine.

Go for it! I'm from a small town and going to Russia for my birthday in August and I either get a "good for you" or "your crazy" response from anyone who knows I'm going. So "go for it".
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 04:25 AM

Hi, islandmom. I just returned from a solo trip to Edinburgh and felt completely at home there. The people I encountered were friendly and very repectful. i felt as safe there as I do in my own hometown. While I was traipsing around a foreign country by myself, three people were killed in that hometown. Go wherever you want and have a great time. There are no guarantees anywhere!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 06:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I feel as a tourist in any european country you will resonably safe.

That said, it's hard to know your level of 'travel smarts' and ability to comfortably get around in a country you don't speak the language (I have never had a problem but I know it intimidates some people not to understand the language being spoken around them).
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 06:49 AM

When my husband and I went in 2003, we split up for a half day in each city...I happily wandered the streets of London, Paris, Rome and Athens and even Istanbul without fear or problems of any sort.

I'm sure if you go to any of these cities or others in Europe, you're likely to be fine if you travel smart -- namely, not getting drunk in a bar and loudly announcing your travelling alone -- as that's not safe in this country either.

Have a great trip whatever you decide.

Jules
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 09:38 AM

I think the English-speaking has to do with the fact that she will be a foreigner (and they will be able to guess from where), and might be treated differently for that reason, as well as just communication problems. I know it is nice to think that local populace treat everyone in the world the same, but they don't, and men do not always treat foreign women the same as they would a local. I also cannot agree with Ira that every place in W and Central Europe is equally safe. I wouldn't say that about every location in any US city, either. It does depend if one means about actual criminal/physical safety, or safety in terms of ensuring an easy and pleasant vacation.

However, in those countries, I think it would depend on where you would go -- that is relevant for safety in a lot of cases in every country. I think either one would be fine, actually, although I haven't been to Italy to speak of. I loved Greece, you shouldn't have a problem on some island with some tourism. I was there in early October and it was lovely.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 10:19 AM

Physically safe probably all except Spain (the only country i know where muggings for anyone are very possible; a family member lady was attacked for her day pack and wrestled to the street - picked on this diminuitive lady rather than a man perhaps - but
safety can mean different things:
I know a university prof who does trips for students to Europe and he refuses to go to southern France anymore because the Moslem young men continually harass the girls on his trips - harass may not be the best word but constantly giving them unwanted attention that made them feel nervous - this was on trains. Italian men have been know to catcall, etc. So it depends what you mean by safe. Physically pretty much like anywhere - take precautions as you would at home.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 10:52 AM

Hi islandmom,

Having recently read you trip report of Paris and visit to Giverny alone, it seems like you have discovered the delights and advantages of travelling sans famille!!

In Italy I have done Rome alone, also Venice, and have had no problems. The Greek Islands could well be fine alone I would have thought. I have only been to Paxos (SW of Corfu) for a week, and stayed in a friend's house, but if I wanted to return alone I don't feel I would have any problems there, apart from the terror of trying to ride a scooter on the little inland roads! I could always use the bus instead though. But in the autumn/fall the weather can be a little bit of a gamble, my friend with the Paxos house tells me. Apparently it can sometimes be quite wet and windy in October.

Seriously, if you take the same sort of precautions (ie pickpockets) you would take anywhere, you will be fine 99.9% of the time. Practise a 'snarl' that says "go away" in an impolite manner, and you won't be bothered again! But be friendly generally and you'll make friends with others who won't want to steal your wallet.

I'd probably opt for Italy in October. More to see, and probably better weather. But wherever you go I hope you have fun, and I await your trip report with anticipation (the Paris one was terrific - I really enjoyed it!).

PS. I was disappointed the Giverny Giant Hedgehog didn't turn out to be a muntjac after all....and I do wonder what it might have been....
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 10:58 AM

Islandmom - I'm sure you will be fine. I travel solo all the time, just watch out for the men. I have never been pursued as much as I have when I travel abroad.

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 11:08 AM

I'm an English speaking gal who has traveled twice alone.

First time alone (at age 26)was to Switzerland in Sept. 2002. I can highly recommend Switzerland for being very safe, comfortable, easy to travel in, and BEAUTIFUL. Drawback is that it can be expensive. The Swiss speak English very well. In fact, much of Europe speaks English remarkably well. (You should still bring phrasebooks when going to Europe though--you won't always be able to communicate with English--France and Italy come to mind as places I remember having to use my foreign language skills the most.)

My second trip was 4 months in Europe alone, from May-Oct 2003. I travelled to 17 countries, mostly the Western countries, including Greece, and also to Prague. I felt pretty safe most of the time, but I also tried to be smart and aware of my surroundings at all times, and assertive when the situation called for it (drunk fellow on train in France bothering me and another girl, and having to ignore numerous catcalls in southern France at night while trying to look tough and like I knew where I was going even though I didn't.) Sometimes it was a little scary when I happened to have to arrive in an unfamiliar town late at night. Nothing bad happened to me though except that my purse was stolen by a team of 3 Moroccans in the Barcelona train station. I also experienced the unpleasantness of the Arabic men in southern France. A bit of a scare too late at night at the train station in Den Haag, Netherlands--until some nice policemen rescued me and allowed me sleep the night on the floor of their police station, then drove me back to the train station at dawn--nice

Anywhere you go you can encounter dangers, and it's good to be extra on guard as a woman alone. Overall, though, I found Europe to be very safe. I did not have problems in Italy or the Greek Islands (but I was only in Italy for 5 days--sadly--in the smalltown Cinque Terre region and in Florence, so I'm sure I wasn't where the "catcall hotspots" are). I'm fairly young and fairly good-looking too ( modest blush), so I say go for it

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 11:09 AM

I wouldn't put a blanket statement out that you will be safe in every Western European place at every time of day.

If you are alone you have to be cautious and keep your wits about you no matter where you are. I love to travel solo but you can't/shouldn't walk in or even be in certain parts of almost every big city late at night nor put yourself in iffy situations. Be aware and you should have a great time.

As to your question, I have been alone in Italy and felt safe (after using caution) and my friend travels to Greece alone and has been safe too. We live in the Big City though so caution comes naturally.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 11:09 AM

Austria is wonderful and you should really consider it. Very clean and the people are very friendly. Vienna is great, especially if you are looking for some history. However, Innsbruck is amazing (close to Salzburg), and shouldn't be missed. Very clean!!... It helps if you know a little German, but it's not a necessity. Have fun!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 11:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
While there are no guarantees in this life, I answered assuming this person would be safe, and assuming she has traveled before, and didn't plan to go trouping around the bad parts of a city, drunk, after midnight ;-)
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 11:32 AM

Hmmm, I answered the way I did because a friend's relative came back from Europe the other day with tales of being harrassed at night after the bars closed! Well....duh, lol.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 04:09 PM

It depends on what you look like and your age. Your figure?
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 04:30 PM

My 21 year old daughter has been travelling (and studying) alone in Italy for the past 3 months and I feel more comfortable about her safety there than I do here in Seattle. She is attractive, but doesn't flant it. She did have a bit of trouble with a young Italian man in Rome, but that was an isolated incident (and was he ever sorry he tried to get fresh with HER--she has a red belt in karate!)

When I was in my 20s, I also had a similar incident in Greece, but got away quickly.

Just be smart about where you go and when you go there and be alert. And of course, a class in self defense couldn't hurt where ever you go. (I don't walk alone in the woods where I live without my pepper spray and German shepherd.)
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

The hedgehog thing looked like a huge porcupine - do they have huge brown porcupines?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -