Safer Fanny Pack

Search

Safer Fanny Pack

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safer Fanny Pack

I know, I know. No fanny packs are totally safe from pickpocketters, but I think this one is one of the safer ones that I have seen (and have purchased). There are two differences with this one. 1) There is no fanny pack belt, with that easy to undo clasp. Your regular belt feeds into the back of this fanny pack, through two strong leather loops. Thieves would have to literally slash your leather belt off of your pants to get this. 2) There are a pair of zippers on the front, enabling you to easily attach a small luggage lock. I also like this pack because it is much smaller than most other packs. It is just large enough to hold a wallet and a set of keys. There is also a small section, inside, to hold credit cards. And, to answer your questions - no, I do not work for this company, and yes, I did buy one. You can see the pack at this website: http://www.vetesnik.com/dlrindexsend...057-Clutch.htm
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 05:20 PM
ira

How very kind of you to inform us of this major advance in civilization.

"If something is not worth doing, it is not worth doing well."
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 06:11 PM

Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 06:19 PM

"If something is not worth doing, it is not worth doing well."

Brilliant!

It is absolutely correct that no fanny packs are safe from pickpockets. Actually, a fanny pack makes you a prime potential target, compared to anyone without one. Slashing your leather belt is easily done by the pros (who could not be more skilled in their "art&quot, an amusing challenge even, to them.

It is utterly ridiculous to carry a wallet of any sort when out and about while traveling. The better bet is very deep front pockets where you carry a bit of cash in one and a card or two in the other (any others you might bring along are better off in your room/hotel safe).

Keys to what? You can leave your room key (and most hotels require same) at the front desk of your hotel.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 03:03 AM
Singletail

Actually, you can get a fanny pack that has a heavy steel wire embedded into the "belt" which makes it virtually impossible to "slash" with anything less than a bolt cutter.

You have to forgive Ira and djkbooks..it is hard to use a fanny pack when you cannot find it after you put it on.

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 03:10 AM

A word of caution, do not have this conversation over lunch in an English establishment, the merriment you will cause!
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 03:33 AM

I've read a few threads on this recently and I don't know what's a tourist to do...If it's not safe to carry fanny packs or backpacks, won't they just slash the camera strap right off your shoulder? It makes it sound like thieves are a major problem all over Europe... Please advise!
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 04:38 AM
P_M

m_kingdom2 has brought up a very interesting point. Last year I was travelling in Scandanavia with some British friends. I said something about my fanny pack, and they all started laughing. Then they told me what "fanny" means in the UK. Please correct me if I'm wrong, m_kingdom2, but it's a certain part of the female anatomy which I will not specifically name on this board. We all had a good laugh, but I wish someone had told me years ago, before I went around Europe using that term. I now refer to it as my bag. If that has a negative connotation, please enlighten me, m_kingdom2.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 04:46 AM

P_M - you're right - fanny is word for a part of the female anatomy over this side of the world!
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 04:55 AM

Having 5 Euro left on my way back home I've purchased Lufthanza's body belt.
Goes on your shoulder and hangs oh your chest. Not extremely pretty, but I think I can use it even to shop at the mall, as I like my hands free to browse through clothes. Also has a cell phone pocket.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 04:58 AM

Yes, quite. How Americans do amuse this Briton.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 05:00 AM
P_M

Cailin and m_kingdom2: This is too funny!! "Fanny" is considered such a polite term in the US for referring to someone's rear end. How did the Brits react in the 70's when the Bee Gees released their song, "Fanny Be Tender?" Or was that considered too obscene to play on the radio? LOL!!
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 05:10 AM

I'd imagine it wasn't released over here! (if it was I'm too young to remember it )
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 05:36 AM

P_M dear, we do show our age remembering that.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 05:55 AM
P_M

Well thanks, m_kingdom2 and cailin, I was having such a good laugh and you have now spoiled my day.

.......I'm kidding, you Fodies are all great, and I enjoy this board more than I can say!! I will be hearing that song in my head all day. For those who don't know it, the chorus goes, "Fanny be tender with my love, you know how easy it is to break me." I can see how this might be inappropriate in the UK, given your meaning of "fanny." haha!!
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 07:01 AM
ira

Hi andree,

Considering the millions of people traveling in Europe each year, you are not likely to be a victim of theft.

However, do be careful with your belongings.

Keep your camera bag close to your body.

If you are wearing a backpack, have a friend walk behind you.

Don't leave any belongings unattended.

I close my trouser and jacket pockets with safety pins.

I also keep important documents, cash, CC, etc in a travel wallet under my clothing.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:32 AM

Hi Ira, many thanks for your reply. I'm just surprised that so many precautions have to be taken, even in broad daylight. Any particular country where I should be more careful? Tx.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:47 AM

joearena99:

To a pickpocket, a fammy pack is a billboard saying, "This is were I keep my stuff". Why advertise???????????
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:51 AM

Oops, that should have been fanny pack.

ira's replys above are right on.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 09:27 AM

I was walking just behind my wife in the Paris subway when a nice French woman pointed out that that my wife's fanny pack hed been unzipped on one side. Our potential loss was a banana. We always wear travel belts under our clothes for small amount of cash and documents. Put lock on fanny pack and get the type that you wear under your arm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -