Search

Sacre Coeur

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 04:04 PM
Candy

Sacre Coeur

I am trying to plan (loosely of course)a schedule for 7 days in Paris. I would like to visit this, but don't quite know what else to put in that day because of it's location. Any ideas?

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 04:12 PM
tim

The Metro ride to Sacre Coeur is not that long (depending on where U are staying not many thins are that far away). you can do almost anything (except the Louvre) they same day.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 04:16 PM
Candy

We will be staying in the 7th. So, me thinking I might do the Arc de Triomphe the same day isn't so wacky? It's kind of hard to get an idea of how far things are on a map. And yes, we will be using the Metro, holding our personal belongings in a death clutch, of course.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Julie

No, not wacky at all. You can easily spend half a day at Sacre Coeur and exploring the Monmartre area, and still have plenty of time to stop at the Arc de Triomphe. From Monmartre, you can pick up the blue metro line from the Anvers station near the bottom of the funicular and take it directly to the Charles de Gaulle Etoile station which puts you right at the Arc de Triomphe in about 15 minutes or so. Also, there's really no need to worry about holding your personal belongings in a death clutch. The metro is perfectly safe.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Flyboy

Candy, you would have no problem doing both of those things. Sacre Coeur is only part of what you'll want to see in that area, of course. The Montmartre neighborhood is one of the oldest in Paris and there are some great walks, as you'll see in your guidebook. Give it a good half-day and if it takes you longer, then that's great. I think it's best in the morning to mid-day.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 04:35 PM
Candy

Julie:<BR>Isn't that where people say the pickpockets are? Or am I totally confused person? <BR>It is good to know that I can try to get to everything I want to see. So would you recommend lunch in Monmarte??

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Christina

The most natural thing would be to see some of Montmartre, as long as you are up there. The green Michelin has details on the streets and things to see around there, I'm sure other guidebooks do, also. I enjoy just walking around the streets up there (not the ones right around the church), and the little Montmartre museum is quite nice, I thought. There is the cemetery if you like that, some famous older residences (like where Van Gogh lived, etc) -- I don't mean they are set up as museums, that may be one of my things, I like seeing places famous persons of interest lived. <BR><BR>Seeing the Arc actually makes some sense, because it's right on the metro like from the Anvers metro stop up in Montmartre (or you can transfer at Pigalle if you're near Laumarck), and would be on the way back to the 7th. This is not what most people do in Paris, and I didn't in my first trips, but you could also see the bottom part of the 9th arr. which is up that way -- a passage (like Jouffroy), Chartier, or the Trinite square neighborhood are somewhat interesting. Chopin used to live around there. Or, you could stop off and do some shopping at the big dept. stores, or the museums Nissim de Camondo or Jacquemart Andre are sort of over in that general direction, at least it wouldn't be a major detour from your way back. Your plan is fine. No place is that far apart, although Sacre Coeur is probably a 20-30 min metro ride from the Arc.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 04:46 PM
Julie

I didn't mean to suggest that there are no pickpockets on the metro. From the statistics that I've seen, the number 1 line is the most frequented by pickpockets because its so heavily used by tourists. I just meant that if you take normal precautions, you'll be fine. Its not something to worry too much about. I've found that the trains are not that crowded when traveling from the 7th, where I often stay, up to Monmartre outside of rush hour, so you don't have to worry too much about people pressing up against you.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 04:58 PM
Candy

Thanks so much for the input, everybody. I will definitely walk around Monmarte a little. And then off to the Arc. I will talk with my companions and see what else may interest them. You mentioned rush hour. Is that the same times, as it is in America? Around 8-10a.m. and 4-6p.m.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 06:12 PM
zzz

At the Montmartre Metro stop (Abesse, I believe) don't take the elevator to the street. Take the circular staircase that has been painted by art students. Very unique.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Ronda

I had an interesting experience while visiting Monmarte. My friend and I were there very early before all the vendors on the square had opened up (late October besides). We both had on backpacks but of course, no valuables inside. A fella with a pad jumped in front of us begging us to let him do a drawing for us. We told him to get away which he did. Checked my backpack and sure enough, he was a decoy for a thief. The zipper on my backpack had been unzipped. So be on your guard. Carry your valuables in your money belt and enjoy yourself. Next time I think I will carry an old empty wallet in my backpack just to see if it gets taken.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 09:27 PM
Unc Al

Sorry Julie, there is a need to clutch your belongings on the metro. Two years ago I was distracted on the metro by a very young gypsy boy who kept pointing at my watch while his sister picked my FRONT pocket with a nylon purse with my passport, credit cards, drivers license, etc. By a miracle I got my passport back at the US embassy. An American woman took it from what she called a &quot;black man.&quot; (She telephoned me from Paris after I got home.) You think you know how these people work untill it happens to you. I did make a police report and got a quick refund on my Am. Exp. travelers checks and cancelled my credit cards. PS I followed these kids to their gypsey group but could prove nothing. The police told me the Albanian gypseys were a problem.

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 03:19 AM
Me

Not carrying valuables in a backpack and not keeping all of your credit cards, passport, etc. in your pockets (any pockets)is pretty much common sense precautions that Julie was probably talking about. Using a money belt at the waist or pouch around your neck UNDER your clothing to carry some of your credit cards, cash, and passport is much safer. Only keep the bare minimum in your wallet.

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The starircase at the Abbesses is beautiful. It is also an incredible climb, we're not talking a couple flights. So if you're up for some exercise, go for it, it'll help with the extra croissants. amount can do it, but it is long.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last year we went to Paris and met up with a Parisian who once stayed with my family when she was a student back in the 90's. Now she is all grown up. It was a thrill seeing Isabelle again and it gave her a chance to show us her home town just as we had done a long time ago.<BR><BR>We met at the Louvere entrance at 3 PM and took a Metro ride to the Monmartre area. This is where locals take people when they want yo show off their home town. We sat at a cafe below the Sacre Coeur and drank beverages and watched the world go by. Walking up to the Sacre Coeur was wonderful. Such a beautiful view of the historic Paris below. The sound of nuns singing in cathedral was simply beautiful. <BR><BR>I'm sure we could have taken more time to visit the area but even a short visit to Monmartre area is wonderful.