Ryanair vs. Train Venice to Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found Ryanair tickets from Venice to Rome for only E15!

This seems very cheap - almost too cheap. Does anyone have experience with this flight? Or would the train be a better option?

I have read about Ryanair overcharging for bag weight, and other little things.

Thanks!
-Anar
Old May 30th, 2009, 09:08 AM

I will be going to Italy later in June. From my calculations, I was better off taking the train from Rome to Venice. Ryanair charges you E15 + check-in fee + atleast E10 baggage fee + sometimes a seat reservation fee + airport transfer from city center to aiport, ofcourse = more money than I would have spent with the train (remember no airport transfer, since you leave from the city center.)

Go to Ryanair.com read their charges carefully, maybe it would be a good option for you.
Old May 30th, 2009, 09:12 AM

I have flown Ryanair once ( and will again shortly). Yes, they do charge for just about everything so read their website carefully. I think they have a carry-on bag limit of 10kg! Does 15E include tax and fees? They also tend to fly out of non-central airports (would this be Ciampino to Treviso?) so check that carefully too. By the time you figure in your transit time and cost from the center of the city to the airport, I think you will be better off on the train over that distance.

Rick
Old May 30th, 2009, 09:25 AM

Ryanair in Rome flies out of Ciampino. You may well find the train is a less costly option and may take about the same amount of time (perhaps faster) when you consider the travel/waiting/security/waiting/flying/baggage time.

dave
Old May 30th, 2009, 09:31 AM

Plus the train is more flexible. You can even walk up to a ticket machine, buy a ticket, and get on the train a few minutes later. That's how I booked my Rome to Venice train when I flew into Rome in 2007, because I didn't want to book anything to Venice ahead of time, not knowing when I'd arrive. Granted if you are traveling at a busy time like a Friday trains can sell out - point is, if your plans change it's easier/cheaper to change with the train.
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:27 AM

Train is city centre to city center and the train fare is what you pay. to fly Ryanair you will fly from an airport an hour outside Venice - and allow plenty of time to get there and get through security - to an airport an hour outside Rome. And in addition to the seat price you will have to pay for overweight luggage (unless traveling with a gym bag) plus buses to get to and from those far distant airports.
Old May 30th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

In my research the prices were coming out to be almost the same +- 7E...

Train it is!