RyanAir to Venice

Old Feb 25th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RyanAir to Venice

My wife and I will be taking the RyanAir flight from Barcelona to Treviso (Venice) airport on June 19th. Although the Marco Polo airport would be more convenient to fly to, the travel times with RyanAir are much more convenient.

The flight cost is approx 45 euros per person and I am adding 1 luggage (20kg) for each of us which is another 35 euros per person.

For the rest of the options, I am not taking the insurance or choose seats option but I am considering taking the transfer from airport option. For 20 euros (2 passengers) it says transportation from treviso airport - venice - mestre. Would this suffice for getting into the main part of Venice? I assume this will not include the water taxi to hotel or apartment? Any advice for this would be helpful.

Total cost for this flight would be 185 euros for 2 passengers, 2 luggage and transportation.
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 08:37 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
If Mestre is the final destination of your Ryanair transfer, you aren't being taken to Venice but to Mestre, on the mainland. You'll still need taxi, bus, train or other transport to Venice. A water taxi from Marco Polo can get you to, or close to, your accommodation in "the main part" of Venice because it's adjacent to the water. I'm not familiar with options from Treviso Airport but I'm sure a taxi would get you more conveniently into Venice.

A bus to Venice or taxi can get you as far as Piazzale Roma which is across the Grand Canal from the train station. From there you can get a vaporetto or water taxi or even walk to your destination.
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 08:43 AM

Did you already book your flight? Consider Vueling - they have non stops directly to Venice from Barcelona, and looking at that date you can fly at a reasonable hour, directly into Marco Polo and including one checked bag, for 68 euros.
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 08:54 AM

The continuing success of Ryanair completely baffles me, given their trickery and ability to ramp up the price of a supposed budget fare and get people to believe they're still getting a deal. Plus the frequently inconvenient airports, silly flight times, some arriving or leaving after or before public transport options operate. And then there's the truly awful man who runs the company. Mind-boggling.
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 09:25 AM

The normal non stop airport bus goes to Piazzale Roma and costs 10 EUR/pax. If your hotel is not close to Piazzale Roma or Santa Lucia, you will have to go on pu public city boat.
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

I haven't booked anything yet but I have looked in to Vueling and would prefer to fly with them but their flight times depart at either 6:50am or 1:55pm. Too early and too late. RyanAir has a flight departing at 10:40am which is perfect for us.

I plan on staying in a hotel or renting an apartment from AirBnb right in the central part of Venice. So I will not be staying in Mestre. What I am confused about is the transportation says Treviso - Venice - Mestre. So where would it drop us off in Venice? Would it take the Via Liberta into Venice and drop us? If I fly into Treviso, maybe another mode of transportation into Venice would be better?
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 09:48 AM

All buses to Venice proper stop at Piazzale Roma, across the canal from the train station. If by "normal", neckervd means the public shuttle from Treviso Airport to Piazzale Roma, then that would be the option I'd choose. Or a taxi will get you to exactly the same place.
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 09:58 AM

We use them because they go to London from our local airport. I've had no problems with them, but I've learned to be very careful that things I've already declined don't mysteriously end up in my cart. (They're not the only vendors guilty of this, though.)

I've never added transportation to a Ryanair fare; I use whatever is most convenient when I get to the destination. There's usually no financial advantage to buying tickets in advance, and you never know if you'll decide to get back to the airport by a different means.

The fact that there's a hyphen between Mestre and Venice on the Ryanair shuttle description makes me think the bus stops at both places, which would make sense. In Venice, it almost certainly stops at Tronchetto, where you can get a vaporetto the rest of the way to wherever you're going.

However, this other service stops at Mestre and at Tronchetto and is also cheaper:

http://en.barziservice.com/services/...y-highway.html
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Yes I think you are right. It doesn't seem like there is any advantage to purchasing the bus ticket from Treviso to Venice right now when I book my flight. I'm sure RyanAir will offer the bus ticket at the airport, on board the airplane or when I land at Treviso. And if not, there seems to be other services that run the exact same route for 10 euros as well.

I also only require the 1 way fare as after a couple of days in Venice, we travel to Florence via Trenitalia.
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 10:34 AM

Yes, bvlenci, I'm sure you're right about the bus stopping in Mestre and on to Venice. It does make sense. I always assume Ryanair will try to trick it's customers at every turn so wouldn't put it past them to dump people in Mestre. I suspect they're selling tickets on the public shuttle.
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 10:45 AM

The web site for the Barzi bus, which I assume is the public shuttle, says specifically that they are not the service that Ryanair sells tickets for. A lot of people who buy tickets from Ryanair must try to use them on the Barzi bus.
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

I am booking the flight on the RyanAir website. I am wondering, would anyone suggest that I select any of the options when booking? I don't think I will choose the transportation since I can purchase a bus ticket when we land, but what about luggage? I expect we will each have a bag to check. Is it better to buy now or is it better to pay when I get my tickets before boarding? Also, what about insurance? I keep hearing about RyanAir tricks and I don't want them to "lose" my luggage if I don't buy the insurance.
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 04:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The first thing to be aware of when you consider timing, is that Treviso to Piazzale Roma will take 45-60 minutes, apart from the time waiting for the service bus. The tickets for the bus are obtained from the small kiosk on the left (as you look at the terminal building) and then you go out to the front of the building for the bus (blue in colour I think). The bus is way cheaper than a car or taxi ride.

Buy your luggage with Ryanair on booking online as I think it's more expensive if you pay at the airport. The insurance is expensive and I've never paid for it, as I have annual trip cover. I don't believe that even the customer unfriendly O'Leary would tell his staff to lose baggage if you haven't got the insurance through them.
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 05:23 AM

Buy your luggage allotment now. Even though RyanAir is relaxing some of its more onorous requirements, buying in advance will be cheaper. Don't be spooked by on-line horror stories. However officious, the airline didn't get to carry the most customers of any European line by cheating its customers. The charges aren't hidden; they are all spelled out on the website before you commit to the purchase. Other no-frills line operate pretty much the same.