Ryanair compatible bags

Search

Ryanair compatible bags

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryanair compatible bags

I booked a flight on Ryanair fully aware of the baggage allowances and now have to find a bag that fits. Would anybody in Canada or the US have any suggestions? I am more worried about the cabin baggage.
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 09:59 PM

You can see their requirements online. It's not the one airline I would choose to fly with. Too many better options, even if they cost a little more.
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 10:16 PM

55x40x20cm - take a tape measure and go to your local discount store and measure them not forgetting to include handles and pockets
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 02:17 AM

You can easily find european size carry-ons - any place offering a substantial choice of luggage will have them. Just be sure you include the wheels and handle in your measurement (don't trust the label bring you own tape measure).
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 02:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For ease you can use these measurements (in inches) 21.6X15.7X7.8
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 03:41 AM

Ryanair are very definite about carry-on; their 'one bag' policy means just that! No extra handbag, camera, jacket, book . . . everything MUST be in that one bag before you get onto the plane. Once on board you can take out things you want in flight before you stow your bag in the overhead locker.

This works so well - plane loads super quickly, & your bag fits exactly into the space above your seat.

Prior to our flight being called, DH & I were well entertained by all the beautiful young girls trying to get through the ticket barrier with all manner of extras - no amount of smiles, pleading or tears worked. So be prepared! Di
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 03:46 AM

They've just started to allow one personal item in addition to your 10kg bag - to be no more than 30cm long (again full dimensions are on their website), presumably to allow you to take a small handbag, camera bag or laptop. The upshot of this is that the overhead lockers can't cope and on a full flight those last to board will have their luggage put in the hold.

They do actually sell bags on their website, that provided you do not exceed the weight allowance, are guaranteed to be accepted. They are Samsonite and there is a choice of three styles. I don't know if they will ship internationally though.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 03:52 AM

Note that Ryanair´s allowance for cabin baggage is 3cm thinner than what most other airlines allow. My new cabin bag exceeds their allowance, but I haven´t had any trouble yet..

In fact they have been very relaxed about bags lately - no size/weight checks. They now allow one handbag in addition to cabin sized carry-on too.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 04:29 AM

I don't understand some people's obsession with carry-ons. If we are going away for more than a couple of days, we invariably check the larger and heavier bags. We have never lost a bag, and do not have to keep them by us for that long wait between security and take-off. The time waiting at the baggage carousel is insignificant when compared with the total travel time.

We flew back from Los Angeles to London recently in World Traveller Plus on an Airbus A380. The couple in front had so much carry-on luggage that it took up all the space in the overhead locker we were intended to share. They were so miffed when I moved some of it, that they reclined their seats fully for the entire flight, even when eating their meal.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 04:34 AM

Do check bag if in doubt. I was sitting next to a Ryan air gate in Dublin and it was very entertaining watching the gate agents with the carry on bags. 40 euro is what they were charging if it was over the size and weight. Cheaper to check bag on line.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 05:28 AM

chartley, if you've flown much and never lost a bag, you've been very lucky.

That said, you were pretty unlucky in your fellow travelers on that recent BA flight. I would have asked their permission before moving their bags. It's not unusual to have to put your bag somewhere other than directly overhead.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 05:42 AM

I've taken Ryanair fairly often between Ancona and London, and also between Ancona and Charleroi. I've never had anyone actually measure the bag, or ask me to put in in the "cage" they have to indicate the right size.

Our most recent trip was to London in December, after the policy change which allowed a personal item (they referred to it as a shopping bag, and I thought it must have been instigated by the shops in the airport). We didn't pay for priority boarding, and had no problem finding space for our two bags. However, I believe we put one of them under the seat in front of us.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 06:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, but I kinda doubt the need to ask permission to re-arrange somebody's bag in the overhead. Flight attendants do that all the time and they do NOT ask permission.

Keeping seats reclined is simply a nasty behavior; perhaps if you had kicked the back of their seats????
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 07:21 AM

Hard to say this, Dukey, but they were Ugly Americans.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 09:41 AM

Do not count on Ryanair being "vey lax" about carry-ons. You bag MUST fit in the cage if asked to put it there.. or pay the 40E or whatever they are asking now!. If you overstuff a regulation size bag, it will NOT fit. It is the "bulge" that gets so many travelers in trouble.

Be sure to measure with wheels also.

or.. pay the 15 or 25E and check a 15 kilo bag and stop worrying.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the replies. I have visited the site and I know the dimensions. My question really is about finding a bag here in Canada/us and if people have found a workable one.

To one poster above, I am not obsessed - I am doing my research and am simply asking.

Thanks to anyone who responded.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 12:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
we flew Ryanair last week to Valencia and back. They were very diligent in weighing checked in luggage but i didn't see anyone having carry-on luggage weighed or measured.

the concession for bringing on 2 bags means a standard carry-on bag and a handbag or similar, AND a duty free, as I understand it. no-one was in the least bit bothered, it all went in the lockers or under the seats, and we left on time on both flights.

no complaints, and I might even fly Ryanair again!
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 01:36 PM

i know samsonite makes one and I bought an off brand here in spain that fits well, but now they actually have made a very nice one that fills the dimension to the very edge.. advertised in shops.. about 40E. Maybe buy one when you get over to europe? and use a foldable duffle for departure trip?
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 01:38 PM

No, the rules were very plain that there was a limit of one carry-on bag plus EITHER a shopping bag or handbag, not both. However, I've seen people carry three items onto Ryanair flights and no one said a thing.

I'm sure that if anyone bothered to check, about 40% of the bags I saw carried onto Ryanair flights in recent years would not have fit in the cage. One of the bags I regularly use is probably a bit over if you count the wheels, and I see many bags larger than that carried on. I'm just saying that in the past ten years, I've never seen anyone check the carryon bags at either Ancona, Stansted, or Charleroi. I can't speak for other airports. If they ever checked the carry-on bags in Ancona, the flight would probably be delayed for over an hour while they sent everyone's luggage to the hold and tried to collect the €40 from all of them.

We'll be flying Ryanair to Stansted later this week. I want to carry on two small suitcases, because there's a train I want to make sure we catch about an hour after we're scheduled to arrive. On the way back, we'll probably check one of them.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 01:47 PM

They will have that off you before you can say 'doors to manual'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -