Reload this Page >

RYAN AIR REPORTS PLEASE

Search

RYAN AIR REPORTS PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 06:36 AM
curt

RYAN AIR REPORTS PLEASE

Ok who has used Ryan Air while in Europe. We are looking at them for service from Edinburgh to Dublin, very cheap fares available now via internet booking. Anyone used the online booking service? Reliable? Did all go well and as advertised? How are the flights and equipment? Just trying to get a feel for the airline. I have seen nothing negative about it but I figure you folks will be truthful and tell me all about them. Thanks.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 06:38 AM
helpfulposter

If you do a search for Ryan Air, you'll find dozens and dozens of reports on the carrier.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 06:50 AM
bigfan

I love Ryanair. I've flown them 4 times already, with 2 more trips booked over the next 2 months.<BR><BR>I don't have 1 negative thing to say!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Seamus

Best analogy - RyanAir is the Southwest Airlines of Europe. They are "no frills" but reliable and cheap. I've used them in the past and will continue to do so.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Santa Chiara

I just returned from my first Ryan Air trip. On the positive, the online booking works perfectly fine. <BR><BR>On the negative side, you have no assigned seating, and depending on the country you may be be pushed aside in a rush for seats. Both flights that I was on were packed. Second, you are charged for everything, including water. This is okay with me, but just be ready with small change. Now for the really funny part of my trip. I was one of the first ones on, and I chose to sit at the very rear in a window seat. I did notice that it was an emergency exit but I did not notice the sign that said those sitting there could not use the under-the-seat space. Attendents were standing by and surely they saw me with my briefcase, purse and coat, but perhaps not. Anyway, after the doors closed, an attendant came by and said I would either have to move or give up all of my belongings, including my purse. I asked him several times which he wanted me to do. It got to be Laurel and Hardy. He took all my belongs away, stowing them all over the plane, and then he told me I still had to move. And then he told me not to. I resigned myself and went back to reading my book, which I was mercifully allowed to keep. After the plane took off, another attendant comes along and checks the overhead. She sees where my down coat had been stowed and chastises the attendant for putting it on top of a fire extinguisher, saying that if it had heated, the coat could catch on fire, so she moves it even further away. Then they come around with the beverage cart. I ask for water, not realizing I had to pay 1.60 euros. I point out that he has taken my purse away. He asks if I want it back. I get my purse and my briefcase back. Go figure. <BR><BR>Sorry for the shaggy dog story, but after my experience, I am a little concerned about procedure. However, I would probably take them again because the flights can be so darned cheap.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 04:49 PM
steve

I had good flights on Ryanair. Booked on the internet with no problem - got a great fare of only 4 pounds plus tax round trip london to Dublin. Check days on either side of your desired date as it can make alot of difference (it did for me).<BR><BR>NO assigned seats - get there early and make sure you get on - they absolutely will not wait one minute for you to board (saw someone miss the gate by that much).<BR><BR>They are absolutely no frills - not even pop and peanuts like Southwest. They pitch you on duty free and jphone cards. Both flights were jammed packed.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 11:06 PM
Gar

hi there,<BR>as poster #2 said, lots of postings here. Most are positive, my only thing is that they dont serve the major airports but dont tell You so. For ex. in Germany they say to bring You to Frankfurt/Hahn. So most people think this Frankfurt. But it is in the middle of nowhere, about 100 km west. Shure there is a shuttle bus, but some planes at that late to people get stranded there. Check this before booking. <BR>have fun<BR>Gar<BR>

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 11:45 PM
chris

Another thing to consider is that with Ryan Air customer service is nearly non-existent, something the owner is seemingly quite arrogantly proud of. So flying with Ryanair works great if there's no problems, but don't expect a response IF there is a problem. There was recently an interesting interview with "Mr. Ryanair" in the London Times or BBC News defending the policy of no customer service and many dissatisfied customers in the British Isles.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 03:59 AM
Keith Legg

Basically remember, if you pay little you get little in return. Ryanair bases its philosophy on being something like "the bus company of the skies" - they will get you there safely but don't expect anything else! Don't worry about the lack of allocated seats (Easyjet don't have this either.) They tend not to overbook so, like any other airline, once you're checked in you're on the plane. BUT make sure you're there on time - they have very short turnaround times at airports so they don't hang about!<BR><BR>I've only had one bad experience with them - the plane hit turbulence and wind on a flight from Stansted to Glasgow and it was really scary - not exactly Ryanair's fault, but the fact that the seat was as comfortable as an upturned bucket didn't make things better. Since then, however, they have invested in new planes - brand new Boeings - so I assume the seats are better!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Mel

Curt: I just took the Edinburgh/Dublin/Edinburgh on Ryan Air last week. For the price (around 20GBP) I had no expectations other than to get me there and back safely. They did just that. On time both times, good flights, clean plane, nice stewards. Who needs food for a 48 minute flight? As far as the rush to seats, both flights were almost full but people were exceedingly polite as only the British can be when queuing so we made it onto the plane in a civilized manner (more than I can say for a few SW flights I've taken here in the states.)and, in fact, my husband and I were able to sit together (even though we didn't expect to) because singles seemed to understand the need to sit together to leave doubles for those traveling together--very nice people. I'll fly with them again.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Andrew

Be aware the RyanAir have a low baggage allowance - 15kg - and charge about &pound;5 per kilo excess over that. Unless you travel light, that can soon add up.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 02:14 PM
BTilke

IF you travel light, don't mind airports that aren't actually in the cities listed, don't care at all about any kinds of frills or customer service, and saving money is your number one goal, then RyanAir is fine. BUT beware that if you have almost any problems, you will get a cold shoulder and will be on your own. British expats here in Brussels have had all kinds of bad experiences with Ryan Air when things have gone wrong. Chris is 100% right in his post. <BR>If I were on a tight schedule or on a long anticipated vacation, I wouldn't use them. It's too much of a gamble. Although the chances are in your favor that things would be ok, if they aren't, you are SOL. And that's not a situation I want to risk on my vacation.