Search

Russian Visa photo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Amy
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Russian Visa photo

I'm in the (somewhat lengthy) process of getting my visa for Russia, and the instructions about the picture size (35mmx45mm) are quite specific. I'm having difficulty finding a place to do pictures to this size (about 1 3/8 inches by 1 5/8.)

I'll be going to ILS in New York on Friday to apply. Does anyone know if (A) the standard size passport photo gets accepted or (B) if there would be an instant visa photo place somewhere near Maiden Lane in NYC? I'm feeling rather pitiful about this whole process, as I know that it is just as expensive and difficult for someone trying to enter the US, but it's been complicated!

Also, what about health insurance? In one area of ILS, it says that it's not required for US citizens for short stays, but in another place it says something rather random about it conforming to the provision of health insurance of foreign nationals. Any clues?

Thanks for any help you can give me!
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 03:33 PM

Amy, we just returned a couple of weeks ago from Russia. We got our visas thru a visa expediting service back in March. We got the necessary photos from Walgreen's (standard passport photos) and had no problem.

I'm not sure what type of visa you are applying for, but we applied for the standard single entry tourist visa and did not need to provide proof of health insurance coverage.

We had no problems getting our visas, but not sure how much using the expediting service ran interference vs. doing it yourself. Since we live in the Midwest US, going to NY, DC or SF was not convenient. Good luck!
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Amy
Original Poster

Thanks so much!

I got Walgreen's photos, too. They have a "setting" for Russia but somehow couldn't cut them to size. Here's hoping I can cut steadily.

I'm just getting the single entry tourist visa, too; alas, I only have four days for Moscow after my trip to Armenia, but I couldn't stand to be in Russia without staying for a little while, anyway. (I haven't been there since 1989, so, you know...some changes!)
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 04:16 PM

If you haven't been to Moscow since 1989, I bet the most noticeable change will be TRAFFIC! Plan to ride the metro! It's beautiful (as you probably already know) and a whole lot safer than trying to drive in a area where there are routinely 6 lanes of traffic on a road only marked with 3 lanes, if you get my drift. Enjoy!
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 11:53 AM

Oh no..I just got my photos from CVS [Passport size photo]for my visa. I hope the standard passport size photo is acceptable!
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 05:45 PM

We went to Russia 2 years ago and almost back out due to the visa process. What was very intriguing at that time was that the requirements varied depending on the consulate location which I though was very bizarre. I remember it clearly because it was about the size of the photo and how you had to look--holding your head a certain way--crazy.
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 12:55 PM

It's quite normal for visa requirements to depend on which consulate you are applying from, even within the same country. The Russian consulate in Helsinki used to be the consulate of choice as it was easier but doubt that's true anymore. My co-worker applied thru the Paris consulate and was required to produce bank statements whereas applying from London, this was not required.