Russian Trains - Luggage

Search

Russian Trains - Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2018, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Russian Trains - Luggage

Going on the Trans-Siberian Train this fall with a group tour. I already have luggage, but it's a 26" regular suitcase with wheels. Would I be better off with a duffle bag with wheels on the train? If so, what size? I will be gone from home almost 3 weeks but don't want to take 2 suitcases because I will be traveling solo. I am in my 60's and have arthritis in my neck so wearing a backpack is out of the question.
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You would be better off with a 22-inch suitcase and paying to do some laundry somewhere along the way. You will need a small carry-on for your meds and irreplaceable items. I wouldn’t want to have to manage a giant suitcase on or off s train.
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 05:26 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
To my way of thinking a 26" suitcase is already, as Doug says though don't know if he meant yours, a "giant" suitcase. As I've gotten older my luggage has gotten smaller because I still want to be able to lift it over my head when called upon to do it and also because I bring only items I can wash myself and will dry overnight so I don't need mountains of things. I need the same amount, it seems, for 2 weeks or months on the road. It's what you bring, not how much. My last 2 have both been designated 22" but one is a smaller one and it's the one I prefer. For your purposes I wouldn't use one any bigger.
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are taking trains you need to travel light, and a 26 in suitcase is heavy before you put anything in it. Plus, there is not that much room in a train for luggage - a 26 in case is a big nuisance.

You don't say whether you will be on one of the expensive tourist trains, or the regular Russian trains. If it is the former you might get by with a big case, but check with the tour company. Otherwise, I recommend a 22 in two or four wheeler, plus a day bag. (And I have taken the Trans Mongolian, riding regular trains.) I do my laundry in the bathroom sink.
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 06:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>I will be gone from home almost 3 weeks but don't want to take 2 suitcases because I will be traveling solo<<

No need for two suitcases and no need for a 26 incher. Pack light -- think of layers. If you are taking a down or puffer jacket or things like cashmere sweater(s) get a Space Bag (not the sort that needs a vacuum cleaner, but the travel kind).

I typically use a 21 or 22 inch rolling bag no matter the length of trip 3 nights, 3 weeks, 3 months.