Russian Tour Groups

Old Dec 7th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Russian Tour Groups

Well, I'm sure you can tell by the screen name this will be a very important trip for me.

I usually do all my planning and travel alone but I don't want to miss anything and I think the best way is to have a more structured itinerary. I've done a search on these forums and on google for tour groups. I'd just like to know which ones most of you have had the best experience with.

Thanks so much for any help.

My stats are, black, 36 yo, female and I will be traveling alone. I love to drink, meet people and of course experience different cultures.

P.S. I'm very flexible but I'd like to maintain some comfort and privacy, as best I can in a group. This will be my first group tour. I'd like to go in May, my birthday month, and in a year or so. I just want to make sure this is done right, thus the early prep.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 05:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My sister-in-law and her husband are going to Russia on a tour next spring. They had originally looked at Abercrombie & Kent because they had enjoyed one or two of their tours in the past. Someone suggested they investigate Tauck Tours, and they found Tauck covered more than A&K. I know both A&K and Tauck are at the higher end of the cost spectrum for tours.

There have been several recent tour/trip reports posted on this forum. Type "Russia" in the search box.
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 06:38 AM

You wouldn't happen to have a number for a private tour operator, would you?
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 07:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Right, Fidel, he did all but break the advertising rule. But how convenient/clever of him to include his email address.

Tzarinna, it's up to you whether you want to contact Feliks, but you might want to Google Stptours and see if you can find any independent info.
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 09:35 AM
KATHERINEMAEPARDEE

You should investigate single group tours as all the river barges are filled with Seniors. You might get lucky and meet a single traveler but when I was single I had more fun with single cruises.

Good luck! You will love Russia

Old Dec 8th, 2007, 03:49 PM

tzarinna,

If I were going to Russia, I would take a tour, especially if I were going alone. I do all my own planning and organization on other trips to Europe, but I too would hesitate to go to Russia on my own.

I don't know any tour groups, so can't help you there.

I did go to Russia many years ago--before you were born, as a matter of fact. I was teaching in Europe, and we went during Easter vacation. Easter must have come early that year because it was dead winter! I would advise you to keep track of the temperatures and/or perhaps post on a "Russia" board, so that you don't have an unpleasant weather surprise.

Have fun! I'd love to go back and see St. Petersburg, as I was sick when we were there.
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyones response and input so far.
It's very appreciated.
I did do a search of "Russia" as I stated in my first post. I thought my direct request would narrow down, especially since most travel with someone and my needs are a little different, stress on being in a group but having some alone time and privacy.

Thanks again, very helpful and I'll be checking out the places referenced.
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 10:26 PM

I recommend Patriarshy Dom tours in Moscow (toursinrussia.com) and Premier Voyage Travel in St. Petersburg (travel.inc.ru). I have used both multiple times (living in Russia for the time being).

Patriarshy has small group tours or you can contact them to hire a private guide (I recommend Felix or Lena). Their group tours do not provide transportation you are expected to meet at a certain location for each tour. The private guide will typically meet you at your hotel.

Premier Voyage Travel does private tours that provide all transport to and from your hotel. The tours are cutomizable and having a guide means that you jump the que at each venue. I recommend Elena and the driver is Vadim.
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, neeps.
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 12:16 PM

book marking