Reload this Page >

Rush hours when using trains in Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 06:12 AM
Larisa

In one of the previous posts that I cannot locate, Ursula mentioned that there are hours on weekdays when trains are being overcrowded by business people moving between cities. What would be the time to avoid travelling by trains (in the morning and at the end of the day)?

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 06:34 AM
Florence

Same as everywhere, 7-9 AM, 5-7 PM, although it is mostly regional trains that will be crowded (as in no seats available), and you will be OK if you take an intercity train at the end station (like Geneva airport station rather than Cornavin/central station).

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 06:53 AM
Larisa

Thanks, Florence, we will travel every day from Zurich to Bern, Lucerne, Basel, Interlaken and I wanted to avoid standing during the trip.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 07:21 AM
Ursula

Larisa hello! <BR>I mentioned that, yes. Florence's answer is perfectly correct. In my opinion, it is particularly true for the connection Zurich-Berne (7-9 am)) and Berne-Zurich (4-7 pm), as a lot of meetings take place in Berne for its convenient location. Last Friday, lots of people... yes, but we got seats. <BR> <BR>The lines Zurich-Basel and Zurich-Lucerne are crowded too, but the other way round. People come to work IN Zurich. So you will not be concerned going TO these cities. <BR>As mentioned in a previous post, try to be at the station some 10-15 min. ahead and you will get seats (1st and 2nd class; both are ok) with no problem. <BR> <BR>PS: Re. weather forecast: Today: Nice and hot. Thu-Fr-Sat: Rain. As from Sun: "They say" sun again. <BR>So, please pack accordingly and have fun.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 08:47 AM
Larisa

Ursula, you are back, hello. <BR>Haven't deen your posts for a while, and started worrying. <BR>You know, I check the forecast every day, it shows the weather for 10 days ahead. It changes from day to day, but the lates one promices partly cloudy on Sat and rains on Sunday. <BR>OK, we will survive. The main thing is to use the time as productively as we could. And concerning the rush hours I presumed exactly the same - that crouds in the morning are headed toward Bern and Zurich mostly. <BR>I appreciate your help so much. Thanks to the links you provided we reserved the hotel Walhalla, while every other site told that there are no rooms avalible. <BR>Ursula, is there a place on the Central Station that has forecasts for other cities for that day? This way we could manipulate our destinations for the day.