Running Scared in Paris

Feb 15th, 1999, 05:22 AM
Dan Shea

Running Scared in Paris

My wife and I will be spending a vacation week in Paris this March. We will be staying at the Madeleine Palace on Rue Cambon near the Tuileries Garden. Since I am a recreational jogger, I usually go for a two-three mile run in the morning. My wife feels I should not attempt to do this in Paris. She feels it would be dangerous and offensive to the French people. I was planning on a 7-8 am run in the Gardens near our hotel. If i cannot run there, are there any options? Thanks, Dan Shea

Feb 15th, 1999, 06:33 AM
Tracy

Hey Dan --

Dangerous? Offensive? Nope. During my au pair days I loved running in the Tuileries and over in Luxembourg, but my absolute favorite running route was 'round & 'round the Ile St. Louis!

Distractingly beautiful views make for better runs . . . have your wife jog with you! And get ready for conspiratorial smiles from other morning parisian runners . . .
bon sejour a Paris
xo
T

Feb 15th, 1999, 06:59 AM
Monica

While in Paris in October 1997, I saw several joggers around the Tuileries Garden. Enjoy the views!

Feb 15th, 1999, 07:36 AM
joelle

French people seem to have a "strange" reputation on the west side of the Atlantic Ocean...
You can jog as you like in the Tuileries Garden. The only danger I would see, will be when you try to cross the rue de Rivoli (because of the crazy traffic...).

Feb 15th, 1999, 08:32 AM
Robin

Dan: I understand you need to keep your schedule, HOWEVER, don't overlook the fact that as a tourist/traveller, you can easily log 5 to 7 miles walking every day, just seeing the sights & getting around town. Also, 'tho I have't been to Paris yet, I'm told there's many stairs climbing to/from their subway/underground. SO, you may want to factor the extra "footwork" in when you plan the need for your daily run.

Feb 15th, 1999, 08:40 AM
Robin

Dan:
I understand you need to keep your schedule, HOWEVER, don't overlook the fact that as a tourist/traveller, you can easily log 5 to 7 miles walking every day, just seeing the sights & getting around town. Also, 'tho I have't been to Paris yet, I'm told there's many stairs climbing to/from their subway/underground. SO, you may want to factor the extra "footwork" in when you plan the need for your daily run. As for being offensive, I suspect they'll merely shake their heads, & mutter "another one of those crazy Americans".