Reload this Page >

One week driving tour

Search

One week driving tour

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 1999, 11:20 AM
Joel

One week driving tour

We have one week in late March to do a driving tour in the UK. Obviously, we need to limit the area. Any suggestions as to the optimal area(s) to cover in one week? We will exclude London as we have been there/worked there many times. <BR> <BR>Thanks.

Old Feb 13th, 1999, 02:46 PM
catherine

I think Cornwall is really beautifull.In my opinion it is the place to go although it maybe a bit far for you to drive for just a week.You could try Dorset or the Cotswolds.Depends on how much you like to drive.

Old Feb 13th, 1999, 04:55 PM
Karen

I would go to Brighton and work west from there. You could go to Mountbatten's home and along the beaches...several very interesting things to see along the way. Could even go across to the Isle of Wight where Victoria went after Albert died. Devon and Cornwall both have alot of things to do also.

Old Feb 14th, 1999, 02:45 AM
NIGEL DORAN

Go north! <BR>You can fly into Manchester, or even drive from Heathrow or Gatwick, and discover Yorkshire. <BR>You could see York, Durham, Whitby {home of the Dracula novel}, spend time in the Yorkshire Dales, go walking, climibing, etc. etc. <BR>You could concentrate on the Lake District too, dividing your time between the Lakes and parts of Yorkshire. <BR>As long as you don't travel in rush hours, that part of the world at that time shouldn't be too busy. I used to live in Leeds in Yorkshire and would often drive out to the Dales or to the Peak District [near Sheffield] to lose myself in the hills. <BR>Have a look at guides for Yorkshire and the Lakes before you make up your mind. Most people miss out these places, preferring to keep south.

Old Feb 15th, 1999, 06:46 AM
John

Hi, Joel, <BR>You might consider East Anglia, far enough south and far enough east that the chances for nice late March weather are improved, also close enough to London and airports for convenience. Cambridge is wonderful, as are the many beautiful villages in Suffolk - very English, not over touristy (especially in March) and lovely countryside. Cheers!

Old Feb 16th, 1999, 04:04 AM
kimerley

<BR>If you pick your car up from Heathrow, drive through Oxford and visit Bibury in the Cotswolds. Stay overnight at Bibury Court Hotel for the night. Absolutely fantastic village and vista. <BR>Next day visit Cheltenham and the other beautiful villages in the Cotswolds. We stayed in farm B&Bs which were lovely. <BR>Visit Warwick Castle, Stratford and then finish of your week at Oxford or Windsor overnight. <BR>I could easily have spent a week in the cotswolds. <BR>York's surrounding areas are lovely, particularly near Castle Howard. We stayed at Ganthorpe on a working farm. <BR>Have a great trip.