Search

Rue di Rivoli

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 02:49 PM
am

Rue di Rivoli

Is this steet very bury? Our travel agent has recommended Regina Hotel. Anyone know about It?

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 03:02 PM
wendy

I stayed here in October... the street IS busy, but the double glazed windows shut the noise out. <BR> <BR>However, for the money? I would have preferred to stay at a small excellent quality hotel, and spent my money elsewhere...I mean HOW much time does one spend in a room? <BR> <BR>I have stayed in many small left bank hotels with the same ammenities, with much friendlier service and for half the price. <BR> <BR>The sunset over the Louvre, gardens and Eiffle was beautiful... but for ff1750 a night? <BR> <BR>Wendy

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 03:18 PM
Jim Rosenberg

I am in total agreement with Wendy. There are so many wonderful neighborhoods in Paris and the metro can take you anywhere in the city so efficiently... I say spend less and go more often!

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 06:15 PM
StCirq

The rue de Rivoli is one of Paris's busiest thoroughfares - meaning tons of traffic. Yes, your hotel will undoubtedly offer you a room overlooking this mess. Either ask for an "interior room" if they have one, or choose another hotel.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 07:32 PM
sandra

the regina is great foe tea but i think not such a good value. for what you spend on 1 or 2 nights you could spend a week in a great 3 star hotel in the 6th district. i suggest do some research on your own online and find a less expensive hotel

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 10:09 AM
elaine

Hi' <BR>this seems to be unanimous. I often stay on the right bank,and I stayed at the Regina a couple of years ago. <BR>Outstanding location, we had no noise problem, but for that amount of money or even for less there are many places to stay in Paris that offer nice-sized rooms, good location, charming decor, <BR>and pleasant service. <BR>IMO travel agents tend to know about and offer hotels that are members of chains because hotel groups are more likely to offer them commissions. THe Regina belongs to a small and select group, but <BR>when we were there we thought the rooms were tired-looking, although the lobby is quite grand and the breakfast on the expensive side but excellent. <BR>One excellent hotel,3starts, in the 6th, is the d'Aubusson where I stayed this past December. And if you do a search on this forum, or at www.hotelboulevard.com, or at <BR>www.paris.org, or at many other sites, you will find many suggestions. <BR>I have a file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me.

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 11:08 AM
Joel

Any more comments against Rue de Rivoli would constitute "piling on" if it were football, but all here is true. Maybe this is the busiest street in Paris! Always has seemed that to me. <BR>I think what a person usually wants is a neighborhood that is a bit romantic and classically French, not a thoroughfare, even a thoroughfare with a classic landmark like the Louvre on most of one side of it. And the sidewalks are reminiscent of 5th Avenue the week before Xmas. Except 5th Avenue doesn't have 4 dozen tee-shirt stores on it. Tourist trap. <BR>Anywhere else is around the Seine is better, but I'd opt for the 5th or 6th arr. where the Latin Quarter makes things charming.

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 07:50 PM
Bob Brown

Well, I will add to the pile. Boulevard Montparnasse is equal to Rue de Rivoli!! <BR>I have not stayed at that hotel, but you can bet that if you had a room on either street in the summer, you would be most <BR>unhappy if you could not shut the windows. (Without air conditioning, hotel rooms in Paris can be quite warm even in September.)