Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rue Cler Neighbourhood - Where can I walk to from here?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 06:23 PM
Amanda

I will be staying at the Hotel de la Bourdonnais this July and was wondering how far walking distance is this to the Eiffel Tower? Arc De Triomphe? Other areas of interest? <BR>Thanks.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 06:56 PM
Jon

Rue Cler is in the 7th arron. The Eiffel Tower is about 5 blocks away. The Invalides and Dome Church are also in the neighborhood. Other main sites are farther away, but for "how far walking distance," I think you should invest in a good map. You'll want to have one when you get there anyway. <BR>Rue Cler also has 2 metro stops within a few blocks. <BR>Have a great trip, <BR>j.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 04:18 AM
Fred

You'll be pretty close to the Eiffel Tower - just a few minutes walk. Further from the Arc - maybe 20 minutes. Then there's the metro to get all over Paris quickly and easily. For more Paris information e-mail me- [email protected]

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 05:58 AM
just

Ditto re: proximity to the Eiffel and Invalides. Additionally, if memory serves, you are not too far from the sewer tour, and can the Rodin museum is on the other side of Invalides from the Rue Cler? That is about as far as we walked from the Rue Cler. I'm thinking 10-20 minutes to the Rodin. Of course, you can reach all of Paris if you want to walk forever, but the Metro is much more convenient. I can't think of any other attractions real close to the Rue Cler. We took the Metro to the Arc, Louvre, Notre Dame, etc.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 06:07 AM
Ursula

Amanda: You will discover Paris by walking and not by taking the métro! Walk as much as possible or take the public bus. Ask for a map in your hotel. Discover the small streets in St. Germain, Montparnasse, Luxembourg, Marais area. Avoid larger streets and boulevards with heavy traffic. <BR>Enjoy your trip!

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 06:17 AM
btilke

Having stayed at the Bourdonnais myself, I know you are quite close. The easiest way to get there is turn right out of the hotel, go up to the corner of rue du Champ de Mars, turn left and that will take you right into the grounds of the Eiffel Tower. It's still a bit of a walk to the tower itself. Other sights within walking distance include the Rodin Museum (highly recommended), Les Invalides (which has a new WW II French Resistance wing that I find lots more interesting than the endless Napoleon stuff), the Grand and Petit Palais (special art exhibits are hosted there from time to time). You're also not far from the Musee d'Orsay (walk down the rue St. Dominique and turn left on the rue Bellechasse at the Solferino metro stop). The Ecole Militaire metro stop (about a 2 minute walk from the hotel) is on the #8 line, which has stops at the place de la Concorde, Opera, and Bastille (among many others). It's a bit of a hike to the Arc de Triomphe. <BR>If you like walking, then I suggest taking the scenic walk to the Arc de Triomphe: take the metro at Ecole Militaire one stop down (direction Balard) and change at La Motte Picquet for the #10 line, direction Boulogne. Get off at Michel Ange Auteuil and walk through the square and up the Avenue Mozart, cross over to the rue de la Pompe and up that to the Avenue Victor Hugo and then to the Arc. It will take you through the 16th, the residential neigborhood of choice for many well heeled Parisians. If you don't feel like such a long walk, then take the metro to La Motte Picquet (one stop down from Ecole Militaire), change to the number 6 line and that will take you straight over to the Arc. <BR>Btilke <BR>