Reload this Page >

What to see in Italy?

Search

What to see in Italy?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 12:51 PM
Alisa

What to see in Italy?

We have about 8 days to spend in Italy (in October )before we travel on to Austria. We're interested in staying away from big crowds, taking in beautiful scenary and eating and drinking to excess. Suggestions???

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 02:33 PM
sally

Alisa: Sounds like you nght enjoy spending time in Tuscany, as there are many smaller towns to stay in and just soak up the atmosphere. The drives through the area are also great for "taking in the scenery". We stayed just outside San Gimignano and that was convenient to lots of great little places. On the other hand, you might want to consider the Lakes region; I've not been, but plan to go, possibly this fall. Perhaps another person on the Forum could suggest an itinerary for that region. If you want info. on our hotel outside San G., just e-mail me. Regards, Saly <BR>

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 03:04 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Alisa, Where are you coming from and are you driving? Lots of good options but we would need to know more to answer well. After Italy, where in Austria?

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 03:13 PM
Alisa

Bob, <BR>After Italy we're going to Salzburg. Mode of transportation between Italy and Austria has not been determined. We'd like to drive, but would consider plane, train depending on the distance. We have not booked our flight into Italy yet, so we can fly into any airport...Thanks for your help!

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 03:17 PM
Alan

Have you considered the Lake country. I've stayed in gorgeous Bellagio on a promontory of Lake Como. It is stunning and uncrowded, and ferries can take you to different small towns on the Lake. Or you can rent a car and drive around the lake, but beware...the roads are very narrow. One can also go to Stresa on Lago Maggiore and spend time visitng the incredible Borromean Islands. One can also drive around Lake Garda. As it is October, most of the places should be open. This is an area of Italy I have never found crowded, and you'll be astounded by the stunning scenery.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 06:59 PM
Reen

Alisa, Find a nice Bed & Breakfast in Greve. No tourist, and is located in the Chianti Region for wine tasting. Since you are planning to drive, the big cities like Rome and Florence can be your worst nightmare. The scenery is gorgeous, and Nerbone in Greve has great food. Brush up on your Italian and have a great time.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 05:46 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Alisa, Given a choice, I would fly into Milan and start your trip at Lake Como. <BR>After 2 nites here, I would spend 2 nites each at these destinations for the best of natural beauty and local charm: Riva del Garda--Ortisei in the Val Gardena--Oberammergau in Bavaria, and then on to Salzburg via Chiemsee. <BR>Holler if you need more details. You will need a car for all of this. Consider even starting in Munich and doing this trip in reverse to save a bundle on car expense. I have planned dozens of trips in this area and it is all contigious---why not start and end in Munich. Lots of good options.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 06:56 AM
Rob

Have a great rip Alisa. Don't miss Tuscany; Greve in Chianti, Montalcino, Siena, Montepulciano, Florence, San Gimignano, Volterra, Stay in any of these and drive day trips areound for superb food (porcini, chestnut season); outdoor markets, artisan workshops, castles & vineyards, most beautiful works of art and history. Then drive north on your way to Austria & stop in Venice & Lago Cuomo, Portofino areas. <BR>You can fly Northwest into Amsterdam & connect direct into Florence. Have fun!