Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rue Casimir Delavigne - what kinda vibe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 01:16 PM
marie

I know that many of you have stayed at Grand Hotel des Balcons on this street and I was just wondering what the street is like? I know from previous postings that there are plenty of cool things about staying in the area in general, but I was just looking for some specifics about the street itself - its appearance, its atmosphere and the like. Many thanks to all you Paris experts...

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 02:27 PM
Sue

I personally found Casamir Delavigne sorta boring as a street. If you want to look at some of the buildings and shops on that street, go to<BR>http://wfc.pagesjaunes.fr/rc.cgi?lang=en<BR>and input the street, Paris, Paris (for dept, district or region) and click search. You can see the hotel, also.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 04:17 PM
Liz

Yes, the street itself is pretty boring and quiet. Seemed like a good thing for a hotel, and you don't have to go far if you want more.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 04:46 PM
Capo

Sue, thanks for that link. I'd visited that site before, but had forgotten what it was. What a wonderful concept they have there, being able to see layouts of streets, along with the types of businesses, their phone numbers, and photos. <BR><BR>Marie, I agree with Sue & Liz; the vibe is kind of dull, with nothing all that exciting or aesthetically appealing about that particular street. But, like Liz said, you don't have to go very far in that great area to find more appealing streets.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Monica

What I like about the street is that it is quiet in the evening, so I can get a good nights rest (I once stayed at Hotel Studio on Bvd. Saint Germaine - very noisy). The rooms at H. Balcons facing the street have small balconies and I enjoy sitting there having a glass of wine or writing in my journal.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 11:10 AM
marie

Thankyou all! That was exactly the kind of info I was looking for & Sue, thanks for the link. Sounds good for a place to stay i.e quiet in the evenings and like you all say, plenty to do in the surrounding area anyway. Thanks again.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Ursula

I think a quiet street like Rue Casimir Delavigne is to be appreciated, esp. during the night. A street full of restaurants, bars, etc. is likely to be noisy all night in Paris or anywhere. I am sure, you will like it, Marie, and it's not far at all to very busy streets.

Old Feb 25th, 2002, 06:42 AM
lisa

If you have one of the rooms with a balcony facing the street, when you look to your left you have a view of the Odeon Theatre which is quite nice. <BR>The street itself is very short and fairly quiet. Leaving the Balcons, if you turn to your right and walk half a block, you hit rue Monsieur-Le-Prince which has many wonderful restaurants and cafes (including Chez Maitre Paul which is just around the corner).