RTW TRIP - MOROCCO

Mar 19th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

RTW TRIP - MOROCCO

Hi
I have posted on the Africa forum but noticed that Morroco is also discussed here.

It has been a while in organising but finally my RTW trip will happen.

The bottom line is that I will travel around the world as I choose for 3 months, instead of having a big 50th bash! I will be flying from Sydney as part of the one world alliance.

At this point my preliminary plan is SYD-BANGKOK- SOMEWHERE IN EUROPE- POLAND( my country of origin)- ??MOROCCO or TURKEY- NYC- LOS ANGELES (where my father now lives)- HAWAII or FIJI ( to break the journey)- SYDNEY

One of the spots I want to visit is Morocco. I will not have a lot of time but say a week or so.

So here are my questions:

1. Is it better to make my own way from one of the one world hubs eg London to Morrocco? If so what are the best means of travel? Easy jet or such or make the trip part of the RTW ticket?

2. Fez or Marrakesh? or are both possible re time and distance?

3. Love ceramics and rugs and the like - where to shop?

4. Am thinking of asking my husband to join me just for that leg the journey- any nice couple accommodations to stoke the embers so to speak ? say around $200-250 US or less

5.I am reasonbly fit rather than super fit- how demanding is a camel trek?

6. Any other suggestions of unforgettable moments, things to do or avoid , greatest fun value etc etc etc etc etc .....

** the world is a wonderful place**

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mar 19th, 2007, 02:46 PM

If it's a little m ore than a week, say 10 days, you can spend two or three days in Marrakech, Meknès and Fez, traveling by train. Each one is different.
Mar 19th, 2007, 03:01 PM

I suspect if you book the trip far in advance that it will be cheaper to fly Easy Jet to Marrakesh than to make it part of your RTW itinerary simply because moving on from there is difficult since you're not allowed to backtrack. From Marrakesh you could either go to Fez or (better, in my opinion) on to Taroudant and then Essaouria by bus and then onto Casablanca by train. If you do round-trip to Marrakesh on Easy Jet, then you'd just go back to Marrakesh. You miss out on Fez this way, but I really love the coast, and this route takes you over the Atlas mountains. With just a week, you won't have time for everything anyway.

You'd be limited to Royal Air Maroc from Casa to NYC, which isn't so bad, but Royal Air Maroc isn't in too many air alliances that give you good fares on RTW tickets.
Mar 19th, 2007, 03:11 PM

A week is plenty of time to visit Marrakesh and Fez (and even take a long day trip to Agadir and Essouira, which I'd highly recommend).

Can't help you with accommodations in Fez, but on mylast trip to Morocco I stayed here: www.lamaisonarabe.com, and can't recommend it highly enough. You can take cooking lessons there as well, if that interests you.

Where to shop? In the souks, of course! Be prepared to haggle hard. If you're not up for the experience, there is always a new part of town outside the old medina where there are shops with fixed prices.

I haven't done a camel "trek," but I've ridden camels on several occasions. Quite uncomfortable, IMO, but worth it for the mounting and dismounting experience alone.
Mar 19th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your comments - very helpful

St Cirq - I have travelled around Asia so have haggled there but I get the feeling that the Moroccan haggling is more intense. Any tips on what to avoid when bargaining?
Michael - I presume one would need to book the train -how early?

The timing of my travel is open -I thought early spring could be good or alternatively autumn/fall?
Mar 19th, 2007, 05:11 PM

Doug, most RTW products will certainly allow backtracking within regions, and typically Morocco is included with Europe rather than with Africa or the Middle East. The OP says the ticket is with the Oneworld Alliance, which most certainly includes Morocco as part of Europe or Region II depending on which ticket, and there's no issue of backtracking.

angelnot1, your ticket can get you to Casablanca or Marrakech from London on BA (using GB Airways, their affiliate - okay with Oneworld RTWs) or to Casablanca from Madrid with Iberia.

Within Morocco the train is probably your best bet - see www.seat61.com and scroll down for more info on Morocco.

Mar 19th, 2007, 05:18 PM

Hi , What a great trip you have planned. Wsa in Morocco this past January had a fab time and did tons of shopping and a desrt camel ride. I have writtwen an extensive and long trip report if you want some reading material here is the link. There is a section on shopping the souks prices of items and photos. Have fun.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34944264
Mar 19th, 2007, 05:20 PM

Sorry for all the typos in my last post, was multi-tasking
Mar 19th, 2007, 05:31 PM

angel:

Do you by any chance speak French? I do, and found that it got me an immediate "discount" off the "American price" just about anywhere in North Africa. They really do have a sort of sliding scale, whereby if you're American they expect you to pay Price X, if you're Canadian, Price Y, French, Price Z, and so forth. By speaking French and claiming to be French or Canadian I always start off on a better footing than if I didn't speak it.

But let's assume you're not francophonee. Ask a merchant how much he wants for a certain item. Have him write it down on a piece of paper you provide him. Offer him exactly half that. He'll laugh hysterically, but stick to your offer. He'll come back with something about 10 percent under his original price. Counter with something about 10 percent more than your first offer. Keep going until one of you gives up. Be prepared to sit on the floor and drink lots of really sweet mint tea - for hours, literally, if you are haggling over rugs. You cannot even begin to imagine how many rugs are inside one rug stall in a souk!

And if you want to look like you know what you're doing, carry matches or a cigarette lighter with you so you can take a tiny swatch of wool from the rug and burn it. If it smells like lambchops, it's real wool. (Do NOT do this with silk rugs unless you want to be arrested). And always turn the rug over and look at the imprint on the back where it tells you what teh quality of the weave is. The tighter the weave, the better the rug. And of course, check to see if it's handmade, which is what you ideally want, not some machine-made thing you could pick up at Marshall's.
Mar 20th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Original Poster

heyyy-what wonderful suggestions!!

St Cirq - My French is deplorable; maybe I should start in Polish and then the Australian English i am going to burn some lamb chops to get used to the smell of the real wool LOL

laartista - looooooved your trip report! I just finished a massive one on my family's recent New Zealand trip on the Australia and the Pacific forum-
writing about one's experiences doubles the travelling pleasure

gardyloo- thanks for the info.I did assume that Morocco was part of Africa but you are quite right -for the purpose of the RTW with onealliance it is counted as a European destination.

I am thinking of maybe flying to London then Morocco back to London - own journey to maybe Paris-back to London and then to Warsaw in Poland. Lots of returns to London but I think that is the alliance's 'hub'

Any comments re spring versus autumn timing? prefer to travel outside the peak seasons

Search this Thread